Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Turning to the dark side. Wearing baggies is this bad form?
  • crazy-legs

Baggies on road are horrible. They ride up, drafts get up there, it flaps around and it looks naff.

Lycra is just so much more comfortable, it doesn’t look *that* bad (unless of course you’re 6 stone overweight and trying to get away with wearing a “King of the Mountains” jersey).

SiB
    Free Member

Road trip in America last year made me realise lycra definitely the way to go on road bike……..but I still wear my baggies to commute on road bike as I gotta get the train too (too far to swim across the mersey or ride around it!)and I get embarassed at the ladies gazing at my crotch

simondbarnes

Baggies on road bikes are horrible. They ride up, drafts get up there, it flaps around and it looks naff.

Fixed that for you.

druidh
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    Been riding a Langster since August with baggies + boxers, fine for around 15-20 miles.

15-20 miles makes you a commuter.

Roadies wear lycra not because it’s fashionable but because it has, time after time, proven to be the most practical.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

A quick question for all you lycra wearers:

I normally wear lycra padded shorts under my baggies (my least baggy baggies) on my road bike. However the other day I ’embraced’ the lycra and decided to just go out in my 3/4 bibs (fleeced lined wintery ones) and my thighs and nuts were freezing, so…
    What layers of lycra do you lycra wearers wear??

rootes1

“I really want you to know I’m an mtber and will wear these even though there’s no practical reason to do so”

no practical reason for mountain biking either!

go lycra! – if you did get some lycra – get bibbed shorts etc, bibs are sooo much more comfy, though going for a piss is an issue…

_tom_
    Free Member

15-20 miles makes you a commuter.

Even though I only commuted once on the bike? 😛

theboatman
    Free Member

(unless of course you’re 6 stone overweight and trying to get away with wearing a “King of the Mountains” jersey).

Rule 16:
    Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn if you’ve won the championship or led the race.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

However the other day I ’embraced’ the lycra and decided to just go out in my 3/4 bibs (fleeced lined wintery ones) and my thighs and nuts were freezing, so…

MTFU 😉

portlyone

I wear baggies on my commute as it provides extra storage: handy to reach for the security pass before the electronic gate.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Blimey – I been out on the road in -10 just in my tights (oh and 3 layers up top) – perhaps my balls are bigger 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I wear baggies over lycra on the road in anything less than +5 degrees to keep the wind chill at bay. If I don’t my ‘gentlemans sausage’ gets very uncomfortably cold.

Kit
    Free Member

I don’t parade around in my underwear when off the bike, so why do so on the bike? I find shorts useful for keeping phone, hanky and keys in, they’re not exactly ‘baggy’ so have no problem with chaffing, drafts, catching or whatever.

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn & I hired road bikes when we went to Majorca. Riding them with peaks, baggies, boots and camelbaks means everybody hates you.

Roadies look at your clothes and sneer, MTBers look at your bike and sneer.

dustytrails

If you started riding mtbs when I did you wouldn’t have a problem with lycra – everyone wore it back in the day!! – However in the summer it’s (not too) baggies for me these days – lycra on the road without a doubt – otherwise you’ll look wrong!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Causal social ride (more of a day tour type thing) up to about 50 mile I quite often wear baggies, although baggies for me is cut off old work jeans, never bother with these padded baggies, if you need padding use lycra. Long ride or going out with the purpose of exploring the PAIN CAVE lycra.

Lycra is excellent but I do like being able to ride in causal shorts on relaxed rides, feels less formal in a sense. My arse is tough though by most peoples standards.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Turning to the dark side. Wearing baggies is this bad form?’ is closed to new replies.