Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Turning Mavic road wheels tubeless
  • bjhedley

Just turned the Alex rims on my cross bike into tubeless using the schwalbe Tubeless easy kit. The were apparently ‘tubeless ready” needing tape and valves. However, I can’t see the difference between them, and the Mavic Askiums on my road bike that I keep for winter/wet weather. Has anyone tried converting non-ust Mavic wheels with rim tape and running them at say 75psi? Or is there a safety reason why they won’t? I haven’t bothered asking Mavic in preparation for their usual “it won’t work, why don’t you buy the £1k blingy set instead” response.

TiRed

I’ve run Schwalbe One tubeless on ksyriums with no issues. Tape nor required. Was planning to try tubeless cyclocross next.

bjhedley

Cheers TiRed, Am i right in thinking the Ksyriums have no spoke holes in the rim bed, the newer ones anyway thus no need for tape? I seem to remember reading somewhere about the bead of the rim being different thus some wheels won’t run tubeless at a higher pressure.

UKBiking
    Free Member

Because the bead is not locked in, the tire can come of the rim easier if you puncture. Not cool at 30mph…

TiRed

That is correct, the rim has no holes. And I only run tubeless tyres because the technology is in the tyre bead profile. Not had any issues at all. In fact they were the easiest tubeless set up I have ever done.

bjhedley

Was only planning on running a tubeless specific tyre, probably either a Schwalbe S-one or one. From comparing the ‘tubeless ready’ rims on the cx bike that still needed tape, there doesn’t appear to be any real difference between the rip hook profile. Furthermore, surely a flat standard clincher with a tube will roll off anyway if flat? Not being argumentative, but other than the spokehole free rimbeds like the ksyrium, trying to work out what the difference is.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

UK Biking – Member

Because the bead is not locked in, the tire can come of the rim easier if you puncture. Not cool at 30mph…

Which can happen with tubed or tubeless tyres.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Turning Mavic road wheels tubeless’ is closed to new replies.