Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Turning dumb tv into smart tv?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

I have a 6 month old LG led tv but it’s not a smart tv. I have virgin tv but am interested in the streaming thing Eg netflix etc, YouTube. These usually don’t play very well from the virgin tivo box so I thought a separate wifi connection to the TV would work. I am a little unsure of options sooooooo over to stw techie types…..advise away.

Cougar

Chromecast or one of those Amazon Fire Stick things should do the job.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chrome cast, raspberry pie for a project

spawnofyorkshire

Chromecast is great, but does require you to use your phone to get things up on the TV. This can be a hassle if there’s two of you wanting to use it.

I also have a roku which is straightforward to use, has netflix, nowtv, youtube etc. Can feel quite slow to operate and the version i have (Roku 2) isn’t as well supported

I may buy an Amazon Firestick as it’s cheap and i get amazon prime for naff all through work.

It depends on what streaming service you want to use
    Netflix is universal. Amazon is limited to a few devices. Nowtv is on most but not the Amazon boxes/stick

hope that helps

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ideally want something that operates independently of devices, don’t fancy faff with my phone etc as may as well hook up a lap top/tablet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are you going for psychic control? Chromcast and an old android phone as the remote

rhid

I got an amazon fire stick a few weeks ago. Its great. It comes with its own remote and everything. Really easy to use. I watch netflix, amazon prime, BBc iplayer and redbull TV on it no probs. It was about £30 if I remember rightly.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you can get an AppleTV v2 you could install Kodi (aka XBMC)which would give you access to loads of stuff inc catchup services, Genesis (free films and TV) and Red Bull TV.
    Add a Chromecast to the mix and you’ve got pretty much all the bases covered. A Rasp Pi could replace the AppleTV but not quite a ‘simple’ although the Kodi runs exactly the same.

For better streaming connect devices to your home network with wire.

andyl
    Free Member

Google have the nexus TV thing that is a lot more stand alone than the chromecast.

another option is get one of BTs excellent (IMO) youview boxes 2nd hand. They are the only one with ALL of the catchup services and you can record etc and now they have netflix i believe. Not plugged ours in for a while as our aerial wire is broken so having to use the old satellite feed into the back of the TV which has some smart stuff (sony)

jairaj

Amazon Fire stick is what I would recommend. Has all the hardware to run apps and stream video on the stick unlike Chromecast which relies on a phone or tablet to forward the content to it.

The Nexus Player looks good too but early reviews said the software was buggy and it didn’t support many apps eg no Amazon prime video. No idea if they’ve updated the supported apps since then or not.

Or if you are in the market for a new DVD / Blu Ray player, most of the newer ones on the market will support smart features such as apps and video streaming services.

Rio

Depends what services you want but Nowtv box (rebadged and new firmware version of a Roku 3 apparently) is probably the cheapest and simplest way to get catchup services, Youtube etc when you take into account the bundled subscriptions but for films you’d be limited to Sky movie store (until someone works out how to root it).

andyl
    Free Member

DVD/blueray player is good shout. Would suggest one of the more expensive Samsungs that have the proper “smart hub” on there not the cut down version as they have the best range next to youview

this is the youview box we have and it’s excellent: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-YouView-DTR-T2100-500GB-HD-Freeview-Box-with-remote-/141789014753?hash=item210348aae1

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+ Chromecast, and you probably have multiple devices you can cast from (phone/tablet/laptop)

Depends what services you want but Nowtv box (rebadged and new firmware version of a Roku 3 apparently) is probably the cheapest and simplest way to get catchup services

since getting a Chromecast I never use our NowTV box, many of the apps on it are far slower/clunkier than the Android equivalent. BBC I-player in particular is busy, slow and regularly hangs up.

sadmadalan

I have a Tivo box and our’s work’s fine for the catchup services and Netflix. it is clunky in selecting the relevant show, but after that it is fine.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Amazon fire stick user here, well made up with it.

We also have a DVD player that’s a “smart” thing as well but its horrible to use so we hardly ever use its smart functions.

Stainypants

I’ve got a Chromecast, a couple now tv’s and a Android TV box. For bang for buck the Now TV box is great I got a couple of the old ones for £10 and I think it’s great for simply adding iplayer, 4od and ITV player to a TV , I don’t go anywhere near the now TV bits which are just another app. The old one is only 720p which is fine for the kitchens and bedrooms. The new one is 1080p which might be better for a bigger TV. I got the one that came with 2 day sports pass so I didn’t even have to cancel a subscription. There’s a simple hack to install plex on to it which open up loads of possibilities but I’m not bothered for that

As for chromecast, fire stick/tv or Apple TV I’d get the one for the eco-system you already invested in. I’m bit stuck at the moment as I have Amazon prime and google music, one really needs chromecast, the other is best on the fire stick.

I bought the android box to see if could get round it and but to be honest the user experience and the quality of the hardware is not as good as that from the big boys. Toying with getting the fire tv box when it comes out and side loading some streaming apps for US TV shows etc.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Blimey loads of replies. Thanks all, will have a ponder on this.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Turning dumb tv into smart tv?’ is closed to new replies.