Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Turning down promotion or better money
  • twixhunter
    Free Member

Hello

I’ve been offered a new role working in an area which interests me, has done for ages and one which I turned down a vaguely similar role in ten years ago and regretted.

Thing is I’m currently working in a role at lower level which potentially has better long term salary rewards and is transferable across a lot of private and public sector organisations.

New role would be working from home and in an area of interest and current role is very new to me and Im not sure if Id enjoy it as a long term career.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

You’ve got to have a go. Do you want another 10 years of regret? If it really doesn’t work out then look to move back.

MoreCashThanDash

Better to try and hate it, than to not try and hate yourself.

twixhunter
    Free Member

I was thinking that. Ive not been in current post for even 6 months. Im guessing I could probably try and get a similar post elsewhere dong the same thing if doesnt work out like you say.

copa
    Free Member

Do whatever you think will make you happy.

ads678

Day to day happiness is better than a bit more money.

A shit load more money and things start to get blurred….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed a complex choice. If taking the other job doesn’t stop you getting back into what you are doing now then give it a go. Its been bothering you you didn’t do it before so nows the time. Money today is worth a lot more than the hope/expectation of some in the future. You could be right or wrong about the current job being better in the long term.

twixhunter
    Free Member

The promotion is public sector project management and current one is public sector IT. There’s actually not a huge difference between promotion salary and that of current role in inductry after a few training courses. Current role is likely to be outsourced along with other government services and promotion role is a 2 year loan. I’m not money obsessed and tend to live pretty frugally anyway.

If I came back to this place then I wouldnt be working in this department and could be potentially doing any old job eg answering the phones.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Day to day happiness is better than a bit more money.

or you could post on here in about 10 years about how much you wish you’d taken those jobs 10 and 20 years ago

joat

Working from home you say! There seem to be plenty of people on here who work from home, and are able to post on here during the daytime too. That’s when they’ve not snook out on a ride that is.

twixhunter
    Free Member

It seems either option would be good. Thanks for your thoughts.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Other than better money what is the other job doing for you? Will you be developing existing skills or learning new ones? The best way to jump up salaries is to leave. You can always go back to your current job a few years down the line at a higher level (leapfrogging a couple of levels maybe) as long as you’ve got new skills to offer.

I work for a large company and there is a security blanket effect and people are scared to leave to work for other smaller companies. But more often than not they always end up in a better place – often returning back a few levels up the organisations greasy pole far quicker than they would if they had stayed.

twixhunter
    Free Member

wobbliscott: Other than better money what is the other job doing for you? Will you be developing existing skills or learning new ones? The best way to jump up salaries is to leave. You can always go back to your current job a few years down the line at a higher level (leapfrogging a couple of levels maybe) as long as you’ve got new skills to offer.

I work for a large company and there is a security blanket effect and people are scared to leave to work for other smaller companies. But more often than not they always end up in a better place – often returning back a few levels up the organisations greasy pole far quicker than they would if they had stayed.

Good points. The existing role Ive only been doing it a few months and still dont know if it or the sector (IT) is for me but I’d potentially learn more and potnetially earn more BUT issue is if I liked it to stick at it. Promotion role offered is project management which I’ve done before. If I returned here it’s highly doubtful I’d get back into the IT side of things. Rumours of outsourcing etc.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Turning down promotion or better money’ is closed to new replies.