Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • turning cross bike into an off road tourer? help and tyre choice.
  • gazerath
    Free Member

Me and a friend are taking part in the welsh ride thing. A trip across mid wales where you plot your own route and bikepack it with bivvi bags. We are going to try taking on bridle paths.

At the moment I have two choices of cross bike a steel planet x kaffenback or an aluminum cube race pro with carbon forks.

The planet x has very limited clearance on tyres biggest I can get in with mud guards are 31c at thats tight. Take the mudguards off I could prob get 34c

Cube could go upto 40c but then no mudguard fittings.

Am I best to get some cross brake levers upto too so im mot on hoods all the tine?

Which options would be best. Any sfvice would be great.

gazerath
    Free Member

Advice. Damn phone typing.

globalti
    Free Member

Mudguards, luggage rack, low gear ratios, comfortable position – these are important for touring. Something like a 32mm tyre is a good compromise between comfort and speed. It can be slick unless you are heading for deep mud.

Don’t bother with the panic levers.

nostoc
    Free Member

First thought, ditch the mudguards – wider tyres will be much more useful. I used to get pinch flats too often on 32 tyres (on the trails you will be riding) and if you are loaded up this will be more so.
    What puts me off using my cross bike for offroad bikepacking (I’m fine on road) is the carbon steerer. Not certain my concerns are justified but whether your Cube has alloy or carbon steerer might be a factor in your decision.
    If you are fine riding without the top levers why switch now? They might get in the way of a bar-mounted drybag.
    Might end up doing it on the crosser myself.

gazerath
    Free Member

My concern was also on carbon been used for touring, hence the mmmm not so sure on the cube.

My Kaffenback got me across the whole length of Wales and wild camped through Oxford and surrounding area but that was all on road. Going to go have a play in garage in a bit and take off the mudguards and have a look at the clearance.

I could always put a crud catcher on the back to stop spray on my back, or use the pannier rack and fill in underneath or something.

Also concerned about weather at moment, hope it is not like this during the Welsh Ride Thing.

Any recommendations on tyre choice?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘turning cross bike into an off road tourer? help and tyre choice.’ is closed to new replies.