Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Turning a standard road bike into a fixie…
  • 13thfloormonk

A friend has just asked me what he (or I…) would need to do to adapt his road bike into a winter fixie. As he is far too fast already I’m tempted just to tell him it can’t be done, but for my own knowledge, how do you fixie a frame with vertical drop outs?

Do I just need a 130mm OLD fixie wheel and a standard singlespeed chain tensioner?

flange
    Free Member

Hmmm – I think there’s a number of ways you could do it, just not sure you’d want to. And it’d be a bit of a bodge.

Most fixed hubs are 120mm so you’d be squeezing the drops together when tightening the wheel. You can buy 135mm ones from Surly, I’ve not seen any 130mm ones but thats not to say they don’t exist.

Second (and perhaps most important) consideration is chain tension (as you mentioned). On a standard drop-out with normal BB, you’d need to either use a chain tensioner (or a knackered mech) or find the magic ratio. The first would be a proper risk – ok for SS’ing but I wouldn’t want to put that much strain through one riding fixed and the second limits your choice of gearing which is quite important!

You’ve got other stuff like chain line to consider as well. I’d be more inclined to buy a cheaper fixed frame or bike if its something he really wants to do. You can pick up second hand stuff on LFGSS or new from Mango or one of the many places doing cheapy fixed bikes. Plenty of Langsters and Cinelli’s about

Of all the things to try to bodge, fixed isn’t one of them. If it lets go which from the above solutions it probably will, you’ll be picking your teeth off the floor or trying to cut bit of frame out your knackers. Mind you, if you want to slow him down…

13thfloormonk

Mostly echoing my concerns there, thanks!

That said, are you actually putting any more strain through the tensioner? Does braking put any more force through the cranks than accelerating?

I agree it’s not something I’d want to bodge, especially when somebody else’s teeth/shins/balls are on the line!

Rubber_Buccaneer

That said, are you actually putting any more strain through the tensioner

Yes, when you stop pedaling a fixie the bottom run of chain takes the tension and will destroy your tensioner. Maybe he should just go single speed instead?

flange
    Free Member

More strain? I want to say no, but there’s something nagging me about it being a bad idea. As I said, I’m sure you could but if it does go bang, it’ll be a pretty major crash.

As an aside, I have to tighten my chain up on a weekly basis (so around 160 miles) as it stretches. Its a big old chain and I’m not the most powerful rider ever but I don’t get as much chain stretch on my other (geared) bikes.

13thfloormonk

False alarm! I explained all this to him and he wasn’t getting it until it dawned on us both that all he wanted was a singlespeed, I though I’d explained the distinction to him previously but obviously not.

Still not out of the woods though, now to explain all the bodgery that going singlespeed entails… 😆

flange
    Free Member

Singlespeed road bikes I don’t get, having ridden fixed for ages and also having had SS in the past both on road and MTB. I can see less maintenance being a bonus but they’re just a bit frustrating on the road (IMO).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, when you stop pedaling a fixie the bottom run of chain takes the tension and will destroy your tensioner. Maybe he should just go single speed instead?

This is your problem.

There are two soutions

1) Shimano disk hub as a fixed hub (parts here) http://velosolo.co.uk/shophub.html

Plus an EBB that fits a normal frame (phils components and forward components both do them, neither is cheap but the latter is cheaper)

2) A white industries ENO eccentric hub. This is the one size fits all solution, and probably the better one. If only because hipsters love these hubs so you can always sell it on.

Still not out of the woods though, now to explain all the bodgery that going singlespeed entails…

Crossed posts, but an eccentric hub would let you do both. And as above, roadie SS it actually quite frustrating (fixed gives you something to do/panic about on the downhills).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1- Do you have a sister?
    2- Does she own any jeans?

Rubber_Buccaneer

when you stop pedaling a fixie

I should have said ‘when you try to stop pedaling a fixie’ as of course you can’t stop the pedals turning unless you actually lock the back wheel. Sure you knew what I meant though

shermer75
    Free Member

Get a single speed sprocket and then chop down some plastic tubing to get the spacing right. Easy! On-One to tensioners for about a tenner

shermer75
    Free Member

You can reuse the lock ring from the cassette you take off

letmetalktomark

Do not, I repeat do not, use a tensioner.

It. Will. End. In. Tears. And. Broken. Bits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did not, I repeat I did not, read the thread before commenting.

FTFY

HansRey

130mm fixed hubs can be bought from BETD/Goldtec. Fantastic quality and adaptable (just change the axle).

firestarter
    Free Member

Surly hubs are 132.5mm iirc

I have a velosolo six bolt cog in 18 I think I can sell

Magic ratio, on an ss though

dovebiker

Having adapted a number of frames to run fixed using EBBs and eccentric hubs, they both work well. There is only one EBB for threaded BBs at the moment – Exentriker which is a bit fiddly. The White Bros ENO Eccentric hub is a well made unit and easy to use provide you carry a longer Allen key. DO NOT attempt to run a fixed gear with a tensioner – it will end in pain!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Turning a standard road bike into a fixie…’ is closed to new replies.