Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Turning a shed into an office
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Mrs Monkeysfeet will be working from home when we move. The new house has a rather lovely shed/mancave which I had dibs on for somewhere to keep the bikes.
    Anyway, the better half will be working from home and we don’t have anywhere in the house to use as an office, so the shed was suggested as an ideal office space.
    So, what will it need to turn it into a year round comfortable “lady space”? Will probably get a pro in to do the work. Budget?

andyl
    Free Member

Insulation everywhere is probably the most important, but make sure it’s breathable to stop rot (use a membrane). Then everything else like power, light, heating (I would suggest infra-red to warm her not the air), decent flooring – insulation and then waterproof t&G chipboard covered in something like laminate or vinyl. Sort the windows and doors out to with something better insulated and better sealed if not already. Phoneline and internet. A powerline adapter might work. You will need some armoured cable and ideally a separate CU unit for it unless you just plan to run it off some sort of extension lead which you can do yourself but will be limited on power. Should be fine for an laptop, printer etc but not for electric heaters really.

It may well be easier, if you have the room, to build a new office for her and keep the shed for your bikes though.

Cougar

a year round comfortable “lady space”? Will probably get a pro in

They write themselves sometimes, don’t they.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

The important question is where will the mancave / bike store be?

badllama
    Free Member

Monkeysfeet apart from the eletrics this would be a very easy crappy weather bank holiday project for yourself surly? if the shed is sound i reccon a days work tops. Unless you need it decorating as well 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ha cheers cougar, 😳
    I will have more than enough to do, and as its the wife’s space she would sooner get a pro in to do the work as opposed to my cack handed approach to diy.
    Her company will install phone line etc and there is already power to the shed. Got a nice oil heater too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Turning a shed into an office’ is closed to new replies.