Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Turner Owners – what grease gun and grease for pivots?
  • organic355
    Free Member

theres some older posts on here about this over a year old but was wondering what everyone was using to grease their pivot bearings?

I think this was the gun and grease to buy:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51762

but doesnt seem to be available anymore.

Also do turner still recommend M-prep, I am sure I read somewhere that they now recommend Superlube?

I seem to have developed a stange creaking, cracking noise from my (new/ridden-twice) Flux. Thought it was the headaset at 1st, but now I think its coming from the rear suspension somewhere so wanted to check the bearings are lubed, as its a 2011 frame and could have been sat in CRC’s wharehouse for over a year, but I would be surprised if the grease in the bearings had dried out. It did get pretty wet/muddy on its first ride though and I did have to hose the bike down afterwards (not pressure wash, just garden hose), so maybe I have washed some of the grease out?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

they changed their grease recommendation – can’t remember to which one though.

I have some M-Prep and I use a normal gun and just undo the shock to get at that zerk.

My 09 flux suspension was very tight so when I regreased it I actually took the pivots out and greased as well as filled up the zerks (not under pressure though).

I have to use a punch (or I think the round end of a big hex key) to get the main pivot out, so maybe it is still tight, but on the trail with a pushed shock and the needle bearings instead of the shock bushings it feels nice and plush, never bobs, and is good when climbing out of saddle.

The 09s are the ones with most of the creak problems, although mine hasn’t ever creaked from the suspension.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s the one I have with mprep but I’ve had it since 2006. I did consider using pace grease but was told it wasn’t compatible with the bearings. Stick with anything that turner do or have recommended I’d say.

sam_underhill

I use that one, but to be honest, you still can’t get to all the grease ports with it without dropping the shock out anyway. I reckon you could cope with a straight grease gun in that case (although I haven’t tried).
    Still using M-Prep here as that’s what I’ve got.
    I also occasionally suffer from a creaking on my 2011 flux. the 2 usual suspects are the bushes on the shock (so just pop a touch of grease around the bolts) and the rear dropouts (again just a light greasing) including between the mech hanger and the frame.

crofts2007
    Free Member

I am using the superlube, as Turner changed their recommendations a few years back.

Link below.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-LUBE-Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-PTFE-3-oz-/200721192561?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D200639476577%26ps%3D54

I doubt that you would have washed out the grease, as the seals are very good compared to other systems.
    It may be worth checking the torque setting of the linkage bolts as they could be too tight and causing the creaking, after you have managed to get some grease in.
    I have heard that you can buy a grease gun from an engineering supplies and just carefully bend the nozzle to get to the better placed zerks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-3999-Grease-Fluid-Priming-Grease-Gun-Mini-Tool-Garage-Auto-/310401664144?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4845618490

Turner Info from their web site below.

http://www.turnerbikes.com/all-turner-faqs/turnertech/turner-tech-pdf-downloads

crofts2007
    Free Member

My 2009 5spot always creaked, then one day it stopped, after the bottom bracket parted company with the seattube.
    I now have a 2011 5spot, with the added strengthening gusset at the bb/seatpost junction, no creaks either!

organic355
    Free Member

I loosened the bolts that attach the shock to the frame and gave them a squirt of GT85, the creak has gone. funny it wasnt there on the 1st ride though, perhaps some water had got in somehwhere and cause something to rub?

Still need to source one of those grease guns and grease for the bearing service though.

I have emailed greg at turner to see if they are still available.

rc200f8
    Free Member

Pace grease gun with long nozzle & Pace grease for me, have ony needed to replace the drive side Horst pivot on my ’05 SixPack, & still all original bushes on the ’04 Spot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Turner Owners – what grease gun and grease for pivots?’ is closed to new replies.