• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bennn.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turner Burner 650B
  • bennn
    Free Member

Afternoon everyone, I’m in the market for a new FS frame and these are currently top of my list. I had wondered if anyone on here had one and what they were like to live with, and what travel forks people were using on theirs (assuming most will be 150/160mm)?

I’ve been picking bits up for a build off the Classifieds, and had wondered if anyone had seen any decent deals on frames, specifically XL, and the Polished finish, as cheapest I can find it in stock at moment is £1700, though I’ve heard rumour about 2015 stuff out soon.

Finally, if anyone lives near enough to me would it be possible to have a look/ throw a leg over one? As we’re really struggling for stockists in the North of England (West Yorks)!

Thankyou in advance for any replies, Ben.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’d be interested too. Turner seems to have disappeared off the radar a little recently.

sam_underhill

I love mine!
    The ctd shock is a bit average (but so was the rp23 on my flux). I’ve swapped it for a ccdb inline now. I’m 5’7″ and ride the medium with a 30″ inseam, despite only just being into that size on the Turner geo chart.
    Mine is now fairly bling with 150mm pikes, 35mm lb rims and x01 drive train.
    It rides great, amazing handling on the descents, usual great climbing ability from the dw link. I’m a bit of a dw link Turner evangelist, but this really is a great bike.
    Occasional usual creaks from the dw links but a quick regrease and it’s all good again.

bennn
    Free Member

Oh cool, I’m literally just into the XL on the Turner sizing, so that sounds promising!

I’m not overly sold on the CTD shock, but cannot seem to find frame only options, although it does appear to come with a Monarch or Monarch+ in America, did you get a good deal on a CCDB, and if so, where from?

elliott-20
    Free Member

Currently on a 5Spot but will probably go for the Burner next 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Have you tried Ilkley Cycles bennn? Formerly J D Cycles. They used to be a Turner dealer (along with Yeti and Pivot).

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mate has gone Flux to Five Spot to Burner. He is so quick on the Burner compared to the five spot. He is using Pikes on his and comes in at a bit under 30 lb, which is great. Cant shake the bugger off in the singletrack now , don’t mention descents !!

bennn
    Free Member

Sounds good Thrusty! I’d be hoping for a build under 30lb with some choice speccing.

I’ve just had a quick search on Ilkley Cycles and they’re not showing anything Turner on their website..

sam_underhill

I don’t think they are available as a frame only without a shock. I bought mine from tftuned after about 40hrs riding. That means full price, but fully setup with the right mounting hardware.
    Benn – size wise DT advised me to go for the medium for my flux and both this and the burner fit perfectly. If you are just into the xl, then I’m sure it will fit great. There’s no way I’d want to go smaller.

On the optimistic scales mine is around 28.5lbs. So if it’s truly under 30 I’m happy.

If you are struggling to find a dealer, call Howard @ pedal & spoke, Cranleigh. They don’t keep stock of turners but they’ll order one up from silverfish for you. Really friendly shop, lucky to have a great lbs!

matther01
    Free Member

Not XL…but found a medium on eBay new for £1475? Might be more in bigger sizes?

bennn
    Free Member

Thanks Sam, I managed to fine the CCDB inline on TFTuned, did you manage to sell on the CTD, what are the resale values like?

Looks like I’ll be heading down the 150mm Pikes option. Regarding dealers my LBS have an account with Silverfish, their website is showing no stock of any XL frames other than black. Though Sunset Cycles and a few others are showing stock, but at full RRP..

Edit; if only this was an XL 😐 http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1648093/ (it’s also on Ebay if it sizes up for anyone else interested)

sam_underhill

Only changed the shock 3 weeks ago. Must put it in the classifieds….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I think a plastic 5 Spot will appear next.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Sounds good Thrusty! I’d be hoping for a build under 30lb with some choice speccing.

He’s running 1 x 10. XT cranks with Hope ring, mech, Thompson carbon bars, Pikes, Hope 4 pots ( not new) 203 x 180 floaters, Hope X stans wheels, Hope range extender, Thompson dropper, XTR shifter, King BB and headset, XTR pedals and Hans Dampfs, which bloody roll so well, unlike mine on my ‘Dale.
    I know, I built it for him !!

doof_doof
    Free Member

Looking at the photos on the Turner FB page the Burner looks to have had some subtle tweaks, so may be worthwhile holding out to see if they’re significant or not for what you want.

bennn
    Free Member

I should be able to get away with it then, I’ll be putting similar spec’ stuff on, except for the carbon bars.

Doof – what tweaks have you noted? I’ve not seen any details or release dates on 2015 stuff yet.

Candodavid
    Free Member

By all accounts there have been creaky linkage issues.
    He now offered a different set of linkages as aftermarket to rectify this issue.

bennn
    Free Member

David – will these not come as standard on the 2015 ones then?

I’d heard 2015 bikes were all pretty much due out in Sept so was hoping for a good deal on a 2014 frame!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turner Burner 650B’ is closed to new replies.