Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Turner Boys…. who's gone from a HL to a DW?
  • lowey

If so, what are your thoughts as a direct comparison ?

coogan
    Free Member

Me. Love both very much. I’m not the best at bike reviews, but I have a blast on both. The back end of the DW is stiffer than the HL. Have bigger forks on the DW. It’s reet good larf. That much I do notice. And I suppose I should also say the usual guff that it wipes out square edged hits, is very planted and so on etc…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Steve, was cornering on either “very much a cut-and-paste affair”?

coogan
    Free Member

Damnit. I forgot that one. It closed the Alps down too. Both of them.

lowey

I have no idea what that means.

Which do you actually prefer then coogan ?

UK-FLATLANDER

Just made the transition, and have been very pleased with the DW, it’s generally stiffer all round, and feels extremely stable on the downs. Climbing traction is about the same, but with less bob on the DW link. Not measured it but the DW seems slightly heavier, but only noticeable when carrying it uphill.

I’m building the HL with a lighter build for XC, and the DW with a burly build for Alpine style stuff (VAN 36/CCDB)

t_i_m
    Free Member

own as HL. borrowed a DW for a weekend.
    DW seems heavier, stiffer, bobs less. Very smooth but feels less responsive/fun on singletrack.
    HL feels more spritely on singletrack.
    DW is more confident landing jumps. Just feels more stable.
    The DW rear triangle is wider at the front than the HL. I kept clipping my right ankle on it!

Overall, I found the DW subtley different as opposed to considerably better/worse than the HL.
    If I was buying a new bike, I would not buy the DW because
    1) while it is very good, it just isn’t as fun as I’d hoped/as i find the HL
    2) I kept clipping my right ankle on rear triangle

I appreciate that the above is highly subjective.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The 2011 Spots have different chain stays now, they are bowed in slightly to avoid heel clip.

t_i_m
    Free Member

The 2011 Spots have different chain stays now, they are bowed in slightly to avoid heel clip.

That would’ve helped!

coogan
    Free Member

Never lipped my heels on the rear triangle, but them I’m wee fella with wee feet.

Which do you actually prefer then coogan?

Loved them both. Bit difficult to compare as I sold the HL and had a wee wait till the DW one arrived after ordering it. It’d say I prefer the DW one, but that’s because I’ve had it over a 1.5 years and not ridden my old one in about 2 years. I do like the stiffer rear end of the DW one.

lowey

I reckon the jury will be out for a couple of months 😆

Hadge
    Free Member

I’ll let you know in a couple of weeks as I’m waiting for my DW Link frame arrivve. I’ve had 2 HL 5 Spots (and my latest is for sale in the classifieds 😀 ) and I loved them both but a quick try on a demo DW just made me want one and now I can’t wait!

lowey

I;ve done the same. Had a HL for 7 years and rode it twice a week… just got a DW last week… only two rides in but am wondering…..

Vortexracing

Give the DW time to bed in Lowey. Mine took a few rides (and bush replacement) to feel better.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Had a HL spot then a ellsworth epi then a DW link spot. DW 5 spot is the best bike I have riden out of the 3. However, there are a fair few other differences, newer 15mm through axle fox forks, wider stiffer wheels etc. Mine weighs about 28LB which is pretty similar to the HL version I had and I feel it rides quite similarly.It climbs better than any of the other bikes i have ridden (theres been a few). It still feels like a HL spot on fast swoopy descents sits down into the travel a bit and has a nice bottomless feel to the suspension. It is not the lightest 140mm travel bike out there, but it is really stiff. The frame / swing arm bushes are a fair bit bigger than on the HL version. As for clipping my feet, never felt it although there is some heel rub on the stays I ride SPD`s perhaps that helps.
    Overall very good bikes and superb service from Turner.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Went from a Horst to a 09 DW and much prefer the DW.
    A lot of that is down to the DW ability to carry a large lump better than the HL.
    Went from an XL to an XL, if I had checked specs I would have known to get a XXL as the TT is significantly shorter.

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ve owned all 3 versions: HL, TNT and DW 5 Spots plus a DW Flux.

DW link has moved the performance envelope up a level right across the range i.e. a DW Flux is as capable as the older (HL/TNT) Spots, the DW Spot is as capable as the older generation RFX, and so on.

The 5 Spot has gone from being designed around a 130mm fork on HL models to 150-160mm on the current version. In that time I’ve gone from Revelation/Pike/Fox 32 to Lyriks.

The beauty of the Spot has always been its incredible versatility – you can do a lightish XC oriented build, a midweight build, or a heavy-ass bombproof build and it’s like owning a totally different bike for each.

I loved my HL Spot, but I would not go back from a DW to an HL or TNT version – no way!

Ideally I’d have both in the stable and keep the HL Spot for those nostalgic times when I wanted to ride something different!

heihei

Ideally I’d have both in the stable and keep the HL Spot for those nostalgic times when I wanted to ride something different!

That’s what I did! Wife wouldn’t let me sell it as it was the bike we named our son after!!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You named your kid Turner 5 Spot?

lowey

Heihei, if you still have both whats your thoughts on a side by side comparison ?

khani
    Free Member

That’s what I did! Wife wouldn’t let me sell it as it was the bike we named our son after!!

😯 that’s keen!
    My lad kona pahoehoe thinks so too…..

heihei

Yup – Max Turner! She prefered that to anything related to the Cove Stiffee!!

Heihei, if you still have both whats your thoughts on a side by side comparison ?

I’d agree with much said above – the DW is a more efficient design esp for climbing as it props up the rear under power. It’s stiffer, and the linkage design pops you nicely out of berms. On the downsides, it’s a bit heavier, and my DW was an ’09, and needed to be slightly slacker & lower, which the current ones are.
    All that said, on the rare occaisions I ride the HL version, it surprises me as to just how good it is still!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Every time I ride is nostalgia time for me.

I’m still riding my 05 HL. I’d love to get a DW, but its out for the foreseeable.

lowey

Very early days for me… I’ve only done two rides on the DW and yes, climbing is much better, but on the twisty downy stuff it just feels slower for some reason.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

I love my DW 5 spot but a knee injury has put paid to any riding that might justify the use of the Turner 😥

So the frame (Medium, 09) is for sale if anyones interested.

catvet
    Free Member

how much?

lowey

Panic over. Had a ride the other night over some techy local stuff and it “clicked”. Brilliant!

wrecker
    Free Member

lowey, I’m having a bit of a moment with my 2011 spot. Seriously considering selling the frame on. Can’t get the rp23 to feel right.

lowey

Have you set it up as per Turners advise ?

Click here for Tech page.

If not, drop Dave or Greg at Turner an email with your set up. They are proper helpful and sent me some tips on setting up my old RP23 when I changed from a Romic.

pastcaring
    Free Member

old

new

never really liked the hl (rfx) sold it within a year

the dw is nearly perfect for ME. still got a few tweaks to make, as it stands ha 67 bb 13.8/9 hopefully i will be able to keep the same ha but lower the bb with a angle set hs and then lower the fork to 140.

@wacker

never could get the rp23 working how i liked, evan after the dcg mod. brought hei hei’s ccdb now very happy

wrecker
    Free Member

Hi pastcaring, CCDB has crossed my mind but I’m hesitant to throw more money at the bike. It’s not a cheap build!
    I’ve caught myself leering at other frames already which is a shame as I really want to love this bike.

pastcaring
    Free Member

wrecker firstly i apologize for getting your name wrong, old age i guess.

i think any coil shock will be an improvement. have a chat with loco off here, i think a fox rc works fine.
    i ordered a fox rc but the ccdb came up for reasonable money, so never tried the rc. sold the rc to vortexracing? (for a dw spot) off here, i think he’s very happy with it.

Vortexracing

He did and I am

HOWEVER

I have managed to get my hands on a Monarch Plus

so the Van RC may be for sale if you are interested.

I’m sure we can come to some amicable arrangement if you fancy it.

lowey

I’ve come to the conclusion that although having it only a few weeks, its not a patch on my old HL version. I convinced its trying to kill me. I’ve had one ride which was excellent. The others have frankly terrified me.

It feels horrible on the loose rocky steep stuff, like I’m going to get pitched over the bars all the time, front end pops up for fun, and just feels sluggish on the tight stuff.

I want my old one back 🙁

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Turner Boys…. who's gone from a HL to a DW?’ is closed to new replies.