Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Turner 5 spot… what's it for?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks to be a bit heavy compared to the more xc oriented 140 bikes, but then is missing a few things you’d expect to find on the more heavyweight 140 bikes (e.g. tabs for guides and slacker angles). Is is just a really good somewhere in the middle bike? Be interested to know how you lot build them up and use them?

tonyd

I demo’d a load of 140mm bikes a couple of years ago whilst trying to decide what to get and didn’t rate the 5-spot very highly at all. I realise that’s probably quite contentious and I can’t back it up with anything tangible, it just didn’t feel right when compared with the others.

Are you thinking about buying one?

Edit to add: Which was disappointing as I originally wanted to get a 5-spot. Shows the value of test riding as many bikes as you can. And not just round the car park!

titusrider
    Free Member

I demoed one because i wanted an Ibis and couldnt get a test ride on one. The Turner has good quality sus action which feels like it has more travel like most DW link bikes.
    I would say the Turner felt VERY solid, it was stiff, obviously strong and you could really hurl it into the rough stuff. I just couldnt deal with the weight on the flat and up hill.
    To sum up I would say that its a cross crountry bike for people who are big guys and ride their downhills hard without worrying about being the fasted uphill

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Putting together a list of bikes to try and the 5 spot is on the fringes. Do hear people rave about them but for me it seems to be lacking something, can’t quite work it out, hence the post.

stanley

2010 5-spot here, 150mm revs, big brakes, fairly light build (27lbs something).
    I love it!
    The frame is rock solid, suspension is superb. It could easily take a more”full on” build, but I prefer to keep it reasonably light.
    No problem with the head angle. Isn’t that just the latest buzz thing we are being dragged into? Too slack = too slow on fast and tight singletrack!

tonyd

Ride one and see how it feels, see my edit above. 5-spot was top of my list til I actually rode it. (Not saying it’s a bad bike, just not right for me)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Titusrider, that sounds about right. Probably not the bike for me then as I’m not a heavyweight and like going quickly up and down. It’s tempting as a burlier alps bike with bigger forks, but there are more suitable bikes out there for less cash.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Stanley, interesting comments. Why did you go for the turner over something like the blur, or even the mojo, for example?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tonyd, what did you get after all the test rides?

tonyd

Orange Five. I tested:

Orange Five
    Turner 5-spot
    Yeti 575
    SC Blur LT
    Scott Genius
    Trek Fuel EX8 (120mm)

I wanted to try a Lapierre Zesty but couldn’t get hold of one in my size easily and was getting demo fatigue!

In the end it came down to the Five and the Blur, I was between sizes on the Blur and wanted to buy British if I could so went with the Five and haven’t looked back.

Have a good hard think about your typical riding as I’ve since ridden a Yeti ASR5 and think it is an awesome bike. I’d probably still go with the Five however as I wanted more of an all rounder. I ride fairly regularly at Swinley, Peaslake, etc so 120mm would be plenty there but also get to Wales occasionally and was out in the Sierra Nevada last year. The Five has handled everything brilliantly so far (not that I’m a particularly good rider!)

Oh, and I was coming from a 2004 Stumpjumper (100mm).

stanley

Rode a Blur (some time ago though) and really didn’t like the folding-in-the-middle VPP. Too expensive for made in Taiwan too. Really don’t like the look of the Mojo and couldn’t afford one if I did!
    The Turner appealed owing to it’s fairly traditional tube designs, build quality and pivots that last for ages. I nearly bought a 5-Spot many years ago, but was right between sizes (5’10”). The medium was too small and the large too long. The DW_Spots are shorter, so a large is now a perfect fit for me. Got a good deal on the frame too.

An issue now that some people may say is rubbish, but makes me well happy that I bought the Turner:
    I actually bought an 09 model (£1500 from CRC last April). Built it up and was initially very happy until the first time I came to drop the seatpost. It only dropped 5mm before grinding to a halt. The problem was weld penetration. That is a sign of a very good weld, BUT it should have been reamed before leaving the factory. I would have been happy for CRC (or someone other than me) to pay me to get it reamed properly, but CRC were rubbish about this.
    I emailed Dave Turner directly and one email and 2 days later I had a brand new 2010 frame arrive, and in my choice of colour. I swapped the bits over, and sent the 09 frame back.
    Yes, it was a QA cock-up, but was sorted out fantastically by the legendary Turner back-up.

Edit. On the heavy weight rider thing; I weigh about 11.5 stone on a heavy day.

tonyd

@stanley wow, that’s some service!

ikimbunza
    Free Member

2009 here.

Built mine up as a ‘big days out in mountains’ bike. Demo’d loads of bikes including all those mentioned previously. Liked the easy maintenance and general reliability of the 5spot and the fact that the head angle is more suitable for long rides with plenty of climbing compared to many bikes with slacker head angles. DW link is great for saving your energy over the course of a day’s ride.

Oh, and as said above, Turner aftersales is the best in the business…

titusrider
    Free Member

I went for the Mojo (SL) because I loved the suspension action but didnt like the weight and didnt need all that strength (im only 10.5 stone)
    never looked back 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

A lot of people are very loyal to Turner and his customer service has a lot to do with it. I can get a good trade in price on my HL 5 spot which I’ve still got going strong. I’m not heavy at all, but I like how the bike rides and how it’s made to last. Not riden a DW one though.

yoshimi

My story from a while back about Turner customer service……..

I recenly bought a Turner 5 Spot frame from Shiny off here. I was really pleased with it and built it up on staurday.
    Even after just throwing it together and a quick ride up and down the road it felt perfect straight away.

Then I decided I’d just whip the bearings out, give them a quick wipe, apply new grease and re-torque them. Everything went well until I came to the last seatstay one. It was really tight and I couldn’t undo it so I decided to tighten it an 1/8 of a turn just to break any threadlock……snap……the head came off the nut My heart sank as I realized what I’d just done.

Quick get the big hammer! But thaty would not shift it, I tried all sorts to press the broken bolt out of the frame but nothing worked. This is the point I should have walked away, had a think and remembered my dad’s an engineer who could have just popped it out with one of his many machines at work. But no, i reached for the drill…big mistake! After what felt like an hour of drilling with my garage floor covered in swarf and sweat the bit popped through the other side. Unfortunately it went through the rocker link as well

Damn, Damn, Damn!!!!!!!

Yesterday, after calming down I rang Turner in the States. I spoke to a great guy called Greg. I explained that I’d bought the frame second hand and told him about the drilling episode. After he stopped laughing I asked if I could buy a new rocker plate link and new bearings etc. He said, ‘don’t worry we all do stuff like that, I’ll get everything sent out to you today free of charge’.

BIG RESPECT TO TURNER BIKES

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mrblobby. Go and try a Blur LT2. The new version of VPP is streets ahead of the old one and also banishes the old bearing maintenance issues. Stiff, unbreakable, great on the climbs and very confidence inspiring on the descents. If you want it for alpine duties as well as general XC stick some Fox 36 Talas’ on the front so you can wind them down for climbing but have lots of travel and a slack head angle for the descents

tonyd

I have to say the thing that struck me most about the Blur (think this was LT, not LT2) was the climbing. I flew up the climb on Whites Level.

heihei

At 5’11” I bought a DW large (on Dave Turner’s personal recommendation) and found it too big and too steep). The 2011 is slacker and lower, and with a tapered head tube you could run with an Angleset to slacken it further. I’d quite happily ride a medium 2011, but in the interim bought a Mojo HD instead.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tonys, I have an old blur xc that I use for cross country and trail. If i was replacing that then the asr5 would be top of my list.

Looking for a bigger bike that’s more suited to bigger stuff and a summer trip to morzine. This is where the 5 spot came in. Am tempted by the 575. The Five and the alpine are also tempting, look a bit agricultural though 🙂

stanley

Seem to recall reading that DT only went for a slacker headangle and tapered headtube through marketing pressure. ie. everyone else was doing it, the mags banged on about it, and if he didn’t follow suit then his bikes would look old hat.
    Funny this fashion thing, my 07 Handjob was regarded as a fairly slack angled bike in it’s day, now regarded as being almost too steep for anything except xc.
    Tapered and O/S headtubes? Biggest load of marketing tosh in years!

tonyd

mrblobby – ride as many as you can, it’s the only way to find the right bike for you. I thought the 575 was similar to the 5-spot, almost too plush – I like ’em rough and ready 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I seriously need to whittle my not so short list down a bit then sort out a few test rides.

As good as the 5 spot is, I’m not convinced it’s for me. Though the customer support does sound impressive. I think turner and ibis are about the only companies where I’ve read nothing but praise for their customer support.

tonyd

So what’s on your list currently? And where are you located?

t_i_m
    Free Member

HL 5 Spot here. Only had room for one bike so needed something that would be a good all rounder (from XC to weeks lift assisted in the Alps). Very pleased with it.

sizing: 5’11. Medium with a short stem if great. Need decent technique on tech climbing but very good fun on decents.

Had a weekend on a DW 5 Spot (big thanks to Nirvana Cycles for a courtesy bike while mine was waiting for a suspension service). While i can understand why people like it, I have to say that I wasn’t a great fan. (Kept clipping my right heel on the large rear triangle, bike just felt heavier and removed from the trail. although it landed jumps very well)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tonyd – it’s quite a long one. In no specific order…

Intense Tracer 2, Ibis Mojo HD, Transition Covert, Devinci Dixon, Nicolai AM/AC, Chumba Evo G2, Blur LTc (or maybe a Nomad), Banshee Rune, Turner 5 Spot, Yeti 575, Nukeproof Mega, Orange 5 (or maybe a 160)

For how much I’d use it, I’m starting to lean towards the NP Mega. Ticks most of the boxes and is half the price of many of the others. Though it is an unknown quantity and Nukeproof customer support sounds a bit worrying. Having said that I do really like the look of a Nicolai 😕

coogan
    Free Member

Think your doing the best thing really, going and riding them yourself. Don’t matter that much to me people going on about bikes on here, only when you’ve got a leg over one will you ever know. I’ve had a HL 5 Spot and now have a DW 5 Spot, best two bikes I’ve had, they just fit and ride so well where ever I’ve taken them. But they ain’t going to be that way for everyone, hence test riding all that you can. Plenty to choose from out there too. And yes, Turners customer service is awesome too.

read191
    Free Member

Ive had a 5 spot original not dw link for three years and its been fantastic, I swap forks around regular and it runs equally as good with 32s or 36 talos depends on what your doing.
    I am a big lad max 16 stone and it rides like a dream.
    Ive always found its not the weight or the bike its the rider, ie how fit and how much practice you have had.
    As for the turner its done well in the gravity enduro also on steep stone clad paths of cham.

coogan
    Free Member

On yeah, and I’d defo be looking at the Transition Bandit, that looks a wee great bike.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Tonys, I have an old blur xc that I use for cross country and trail. If i was replacing that then the asr5 would be top of my list.

The Blur LT2 has nothing in common with with the old XC apart from the name. It’s a proper all mountain piece of kit with the beefiness and geometry to go with it. Standard builds include 160mm forks and it will happily take 4-5ft drops all day. Positioning would be somewhere between your XC and a Nomad. IMHO it’s the best all round bike out there – others of course will disagree

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah there seem to be a lot of happy 5 spot riders out there.

Got a lot of test rides to sort out!

mrblobby
    Free Member

The BLT has probably been on my list the longest and I came very close to picking up an LTc recently. Not sure they really do it for me anymore. I’d like to run a chain device too and think a BB fitting sounds a pain compared to tabs. My local Santa cruz dealer do decent test ride scheme so will give one a go.

MtbRoutes

Giant Reign? Look past the unfashionable name and it’s a great bike. I rode with many guests on Orange 5’s last year and it more than held its own.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Cove Hustler should be on your list.

mrblobby
    Free Member

MtbRoutes, can you get the Reign as a frame only? Maybe I’m a sucker for fashion but it doesn’t really do it for me. Nice bikes though and the new range are the first giants for a while I’d consider buying. Mrs Blobby has a small Anthem Xw and it’s a gem of a bike.

Big Pete, not really considered the Hustler… off to have a look.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Came from a 05 large heckler with 5th element coil to a med 09 DW 5 Spot, (Toons’s) initially with pushed rp23, but changed for a fox van rc with ti coil. I’m 5’11.
    Initially used all the parts off of the heckler, but ended up updating most of the components.
    Noticed a more efficient ride, and it is only a bit slower xc than my ellsworth truth.
    Went up Derbyshire last week, rode a route that I had previously rode the heckler on and I am more than impressed with the 5 spot, lot more stable climbing and descending. (no chain suck or brake jack)
    Ride with rockshox sektor; coil, with 110 to 150mm adjustable travel, which helped on the climbs.
    Link to the Turner forum, find it useful for technical issues and opinions.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

dickie
    Free Member

What about a heckler?

crofts2007
    Free Member

Know which one i’d have! (got)
    Heckler is a good bike though; reliable and only two bearings to change/service!
    But you can’t compare the two, but budgets sometimes dictate/sway choice.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

mr blobby youve missed the extra 10% off sale but this is still a steal (£1500 frame +£400 shock upgrade for £1200)

http://www.probikeshop.com/orange-alpine-160-frame-mandarin-orange-cane-creek-double-barrel-2010/63694.html

I thought so anyway 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks munqe-chick, I saw that the other day. Still not entirely sure about the whole single pivot thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spot… what's it for?’ is closed to new replies.