Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Turner 5 Spot fork choice
  • Valleyboy
    Free Member

Hi
    I'm in the process of rebuilding my Turner 5 Spot, i'm contemplating fitting some heavier duty forks, possibly Rock Shock Lyrik Coil 160mm Coil forks. The frame has 5.75" pushed rockers, would this be a suitable combination, i'm not too bothered about weight, i attempt to ride downhill type stuff, drops about 3-5 foot etc?

Would they be suitable or are there any other recommendations?

Cheers

Nick

rexated
    Free Member

Nick – depends on the age of your frame – I think only 2008 frames are warranted for 160mm forks, as those frame have extra gussets around the headtube.

If you're good to go, then i reckon the lyriks are great forks.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have a set of DT Swiss 150mm forks on mine and have so say they are great.

i just use it for general xc riding/all mountain on natural trails and find it is more than suitable.

MartynS

140mm coil pikes here, with the Romic coil at the back with standard rockers
    use it for all day/all round riding TBH might change the pikes to something else, never really got them to feel "right"

khani
    Free Member

160mm 36's, and push rockers worked fine, that's an 08 front triangle which has longer rocker mounts welded on the seat tube to cope with 5.5 rockers the earlier ones had shorter mounts as they only went up to 5.3inchs of travel

Valleyboy
    Free Member

i bought the frame second hand, i think its a 2005, i sure the head tube is the same as Khani's (pictured above), although i haven't got the gussets on the down tube, but the pushed rockers look the same, what problem could this cause?

Cheers

khani
    Free Member

04 and 08 (front end only, 05 back end) the headtubes look the same, the only visual difference is the rocker mounts on the seat tube, I've heard of a few early one that have cracked on rocker mounts, although I don't know if fitting longer rockers is the cause, but I stripped the raw one down and built a pitch up instead with the bits,
    Having run both I prefer them with 5.3 rockers and 140mm forks and a more xc bias, but that's just me, the raw one was very good to ride though

coogan
    Free Member

Hmmm. I'd check with Turner first. I asked about sticking some 160mm on my old HL 5 Spot (2004?) and was told they really wouldn't recommend it.

khani
    Free Member

You can see how the push rockers slacken them off in that pic, you may need an online post to bring your riding position forward again, it was noticeably longer and lower

Digger90
    Free Member

The 2004 Spot's were designed around a 120mm-130mm fork, so no, a 160mm fork is a bad idea – it will upset the geometry, making it feel ike sh1te, plus it's more fork than the frame can take.

160mm on my new DW Spot is fine – but that's designed to take it.

I've had 2005, 2006, 2008 Spots and now DW link… a 140mm fork will be OK on anything Horst Link or TNT rear end.

coogan
    Free Member

And also a 140mm fork (like a Pike), suit the bike perfectly.

Valleyboy
    Free Member

I've got pikes on it at the moment, would like something a bit more robust.

Digger would an 05 be OK with 160mm?

Cheers
    Nick

coogan
    Free Member

Why more robust when it could **** your frame? I rode mine like that in the Alps and Whistler and it took it all. Seriously, email Turner and ask, they'll give you a pretty quick answer.

Digger90
    Free Member

No – an '05 is intended for 130mm forks, but I ran mine with 140mm on and it felt good.

160mm will upset the handling and it;ll ride like a pig.

Valleyboy
    Free Member

cheers all!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 Spot fork choice’ is closed to new replies.