Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Turner 5 spot anyone???
  • discapade
    Free Member

Hi all, i am really interested in a 2011 5 spot and wondered what owners thought of them. Also, is there anyone in the southeast who owns one so i could have a quick go for sizing. I cant find any demos….

cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I take it you seen the deal on merlin?.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

That’s the 2010 model. The 2011 version is slacker by about 1.5deg and has the 44mm headtube. Other updates include better cable routing and slimmer sear stays.

I’m selling a new medium 2011 in ano grey if your interested 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Heavy

discapade
    Free Member

Wilson I really need a demo first mate..but cheers anyway

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Not really. I think the claimed weight is 6.7kg, although not light its very stiff and rides a lot lighter. Climbs very well and descends just as good.

My 2009 version weighed under 28lbs without silly light kit.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

You welcome to try mine if you’re in the Derbyshire area 🙂

discapade
    Free Member

I’m in Essex mate but cheers. How come you are selling yrs?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

They are very good, a very nice compromise of weight to strength/stiffness without sacrificing reliability. Customer service second to none. This isnt a bike company that will be ‘the best of 2000 and whatever’ then dropped by the importer and never heard of a again.
    May not have the slackest, lowest, bigest most tapered hydroformed carbon blended etc etc.
    Buy it if you want a really good riding trial bike that you can use every day rain or shine and intend to keep it for ever it might be for you.

local trails

Gondola for Fort William DH track

discapade
    Free Member

Mate that’s nice…. I have a zesty 714 at the mo but just fancy the 5 spot

lowey

I just dont get the whole weight thing.

I have a 2004 5 spot, which is built to ride, not race, just ride. and it puts a smile on my face everytime I cock me leg over it. It has taken 6 years of full on abuse, probably over 5000 off road miles and ok the paint is a bit knackered but its still as bombproof as the day I bought it.

When I needed some advise about changing the shock, Dave Turner emailed me.

Whats not to like ?

If you need to loose 2 pounds, take a big sh!t before you ride it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

be fair it has done way more than 5000 miles and you are so full of shit you could loose way more than 2 lbs

izakimak
    Free Member

that should be 5000 mincing miles you big tart 😆

Vortexracing

I really like mine, they just seem to do all things really well.

P1030566 by eastham_david, on Flickr

discapade
    Free Member

bloddy lovely…! Do you know the weight of yours vortex? also, where do you live mate?

cheers

Vortexracing

as it is in the piccy it weighs 28.14lbs

with the RP2/3 on it would be exactly 27lbs.

Near Preston in Lancashire

crofts2007
    Free Member

Had mine four months now, ride it as my only bike, goes uphill, comes down, does cross country, anything.
    Makes me want to ride more than before.
    Made my Ellsworth Truth redundant!
    Comes in at a well built 32 lbs, still lighter than the heckler it replaced at 35 lbs!
    Also based in the Midlands.

coogan
    Free Member

I loves mine. Just a hugely fun bike. In Scotchland if any use for throwing a leg over it. Here it is bouncing about the Alps with some muppet on it.

pastcaring
    Free Member

I have a medium 2010 and I live on the south coast. I get into London pretty regular
    I’m in the peak district this weekend but could probably arrange something next week?
    Email me if I can help

the_lecht_rocks

my problem with the DWL Turners is they’ve been DWL’d because DT wouldn’t pay for the HL patent.

otherwise, they’d still be HL, wouldn’t they ????????????

coogan
    Free Member

They were happily paying for the HL patent to Specialized. It was an issue with Ellsworth that they stopped using the HL link.

the_lecht_rocks

but they do look ugly now with the DWL don’t they ?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Probably, but some people are more concerned about how they perform. I went from a HL to a DW Spot, light and day difference for me. After I test rode one I just had to get one.

Was thinking about Chumba, but turns out Alan Kang the company owner is the new Tony Ellsworth – ripping off customers and now only 1 year warranty. Really has confidence in his product then….

coogan
    Free Member

I won’t deny the HL version (I used to have one, loved it) is far better looking. I’m not the biggest fan of the back end of the DW one. But **** me, it is stiffer than the HL one. Both awesome bikes in my half arsed style of riding point of view.

5spot
    Free Member

2011 spot with a talas 36,great bike,also still have a 09 with a float 150mm.

Swalsey
    Free Member

5spot – that orange 5-spot is the only one I have ever actually liked the look of! Very nice

convert

Would it be rude to post that I have a mint size large iron glimmer (met grey to you and me) ridden a dozen times absolute max that I’m splitting to sell (and blackbox uturn 150 rev fork) in the next 48hrs?

Lovely, lovely bike but too much bike for me – buying a Turner Flux.

traildog
    Free Member

The DW ones are heavier than the old HL ones and eating all the figs in the world isn’t going to change that. It’s designed as a trail bike and as such weight isn’t the biggest priority on it.
    I wonder if the Flux would be the replacement to my HL 5Spot as the new 5Spot is heavier, slacker and longer travel.
    The fact that I still have one going after more than 6 years of riding says alot for the bikes IMHO.

the_lecht_rocks

@chunkymtb.

just as well i’ve got the Hummer SS, ti456 and the nicolai helius AM as a back up then 🙂

my VF2 is supported excellently [so far] by Si @ progressive bikes.

i loved my HL 6 Pack and would’ve loved an HL 5 Spot, but the DWL didn’t do it for me when demo’d at Laggan unfortunately 🙁

I haven’t ridden a DW Spot, but I’ve ridden the Ibis Mojo, which was excellent, and I hear the Spot version is even better. The main reason I love my HL Spot (and HL Burner, greedy) is because it just gets on with the riding without fuss; just why other bike companies insist on bearings seems mad when the bushings/zerk system works so well. Actually, I guess bike companies make a tidy packet on replacement bearing kits. I can’t help mention Turners customer service; I once asked a question re the HL system on mtbr and got a response from Dave Turner about the history of HL. Then there was the time I emailed Turner to see if they had any 5.5 rockers; they had a look out back and found some that were coming off a re-build, put them in the post and charged me $75; delivered in 2 days to my desk. When I was looking for a 2nd hand 5 Spot I found one with a dent near the BB so I sent Turner a photo of the bike; they got their top welder to take a look at the photo and said it would probably be OK. I’m sure there are other cheaper bikes that perform as good; but for me, having a bike that needs near zero maintenance and incredible Turner backup is just unbeatable. Grab one.

the_lecht_rocks

i’d have to agree about the legendary Turner C.S.

leaves certain manufacturers sorely behind !

discapade
    Free Member

Well after all that I can’t wait for a demo…!

Sanny
    Free Member

To be honest, the original was a better bike to ride. I rode Skiddaw on my DW yesterday and my original was definitely a better climber as it had a slightly longer top tube. It also felt better on steep tech descents. When I break the DW, I’ll probably change brands. I really miss my 4 Bar frame. It snapped clean through at the seat tube taco weld where I gather a lot of them go. Not too impressed by the bushing kit costing £110 – double what it cost to get a rebuild kit for the 4 bar. Ouch!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spot anyone???’ is closed to new replies.