Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Turn my phone into a gpx reader for me please.
  • zippykona

Following on from last weeks Garmin thread I thought I might try using my old galaxy s3 and see how I get on. This would leave a sizeable wedge in the kitty for new forks.
    A step by step idiots guide please.
    I’ve never got my MacBook to recognise my phone so will be transferring any data to the chip or hopefully downloading straight from the intraweb.
    I’d like turn by turn navigation of the Surrey hills where would I get the best routes from?

jruk
    Free Member

Get the ViewRanger app, create route via GPX or manually (easiest on laptop), sync routes to phone. It won’t tell you to ‘turn left’ as such but you’ll get a visual marker of you v the route (i.e. Are you on it).

You’ll prob want to buy some of the OS map tiles as they’re better than the base maps but they’re not expensive.

smokey_jo

OSMand does the same thing

zippykona

I have previously downloaded the local OS maps to my phone . Can I move them over to Viewranger?

zippykona

OSmand I’ve now realised is OS maps. Will have a play with what I’ve got.

smokey_jo

OSMand uses open Street map data, well mine does ❓

zippykona

Sorry I thought OSmands was auto correct of OSmaps.

boblo
    Free Member

In OSMand, is it easy to load and follow a preplanned GPX? It looks pretty good so far.

PJ266
    Free Member

Loading a gpx onto OSMand is very easy indeed, once its downloaded to the phone it appears automatically and you start navigation in the side menu under “Directions”

However I have not used it for navigating yet, will probably do a short loop soon to how it goes, though mainly I plan to just follow the line on the map rather than turn-by-turn directions.

braddersrm
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware you can’t transfer maps bought on another platform over to View Ranger.I had the same, was using memory maps initially to plot routes (then transfer to old garmin 401) having bought the OS maps for that, then tried their app and it was poor. Went over to View Ranger and had to buy more credits to expose certain areas of map I wanted in OS. View Ranger is quality though, I use it on my rides sometimes if exploring, especially in the Surrey Hills. Have it strapped to the bars or top tube, and if you have a route planned you can follow and it will let you know when the next turn is coming up etc as you follow the route on the map. Downside is that you’re using the phone’s battery if you allow it to, the screen will be on constantly.

boblo
    Free Member

Yep, same here. I have a full set of MM flavour OS 1:50k that became useless when the MM Tracker Android doodar stopped working after one of the Android releases. Bolleaux indeed, it was A1/double ace 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve got MMTracker running on marshmallow (I think) no problem

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah mine worked on Marshmallow as well. Dunt work (for me) on Nougat. Anybody else got it going on Android 7.n?

Stainypants

BackCountry Navigator is what I use now mm tracker stopped working. Doesn’t need memory maps.

mrjmt
    Free Member

+1

It will cache OS maps from Bing

Mugboo

Another Backcountry user here.
    I create or upload routes using justgoride then download them straight into my phone from there.
    You can download the tiles you need.

zippykona

Have gone with viewranger and bought the south east England map.
    Have managed to put some magazine routes on it. Will just see how well it works.
    I managed all that quite easily and I’m a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.

thepodge
    Free Member

boblo Yeah mine worked on Marshmallow as well. Dunt work (for me) on Nougat. Anybody else got it going on Android 7.n?

Ah I see, I use an old phone for mapping not my main one so I’ve no worry it’ll update and leave me stranded.

chrismac

[/quote]I have previously downloaded the local OS maps to my phone . Can I move them over to Viewranger?

No is the short answer. I contacted them as I already have the whole country OS maps on a micro SD card that I bought for my garmin. They said I would have to repurchase them. I thought that was really mean so moved on

scruff
    Free Member

My new phone won’t let me set the directories on mm tracker, seems a known issue with latest android. What is most like mm tracker to use? I have all the memory map qct files so dont want to be buying any extra tiles etc.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll have to remember that next time I upgrade as it’s running really well for me on an old phone.

I believe the qct file is a common file and used widely on pc but not on Android.

How about picking up an old phone to run it on? You should be able to get something with a 5 inch screen for under 25 quid if it’s a few years old.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Turn my phone into a gpx reader for me please.’ is closed to new replies.