• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • turn a road bike into a cylocross bike?
  • ibnchris

Probably a very stupid question but here goes…

I want to go on a long ride this Friday night and bivvy in the hills but in order to get there and get enough training miles in I was thinking of taking the road bike. It's steel with carbon forks. If I put cyclo cross tyres (if they fit) on it would I be able to go off road a bit without killing myself and/or the bike?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Depends on the bike…but at a guess the tyres will fit onto the wheels but the brakes probably don't have the clearance required, also if it's a 'proper' road frame (as opposed to a tourer) the frame clearance will not be sufficient either.

You could always try riding off road on slicks and see how you get on?

clubber
    Free Member

Depends.

Not if it's close clearance frame or most likely if you have standard drop calipers (the tyres will usually foul them)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

A mate uses an old steel road frame as a CX bike, uses the narrowest CX rubber he can find. OK the compact screw-on block, neglible mud clearance and dodgy brakes are a limit compared to dedicated CX kit, but it does the job and he is pretty handy on it.

Most road kit will take a fair bit more abuse than people seem to think. I just wouldn't take anything I'm too precious about offroad.

ibnchris

So, if I manage to find a small enough tyre I should get away with it by the sound of it. By biggest concern was snapping the frame or forks but I won't be doing anything too rough just need to get far enough down a bridle way to find a decent place to sleep for the night! Any tips on where t ofind skinny, skinny cyclocross tyres then?

glenp
    Free Member

I don't think you'll break it. You can probably just ride it as it is – Paris Roubaix is often done on regular sized tyres. Just need to avoid square edged hits that might puncture you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Likely issues:

1. not getting tyres on
    2. pinch flats whether you do or not
    3. pedalling up anything steep
    4. riding down anything technical
    1,000,000. breaking the frame

ourmaninthenorth

Just ride it as it is. I regularly ride my road bikes (alu and race carbon) off road. They're fine for it.

Depending on clearances, you ought to be able to get a 26 tyre in, and might even be able to get a 28 on there. With that, you can go anywhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

With that, you can go anywhere.

…although you may be walking, with your bike on your shoulders.

ourmaninthenorth

…although you may be walking, with your bike on your shoulders

Nah. Everything's rideable, especially in the drops… 😉

thesurfbus
    Free Member

If the clearances are tight, something like a Schwalbe Marathon should fit, and has enough puncture protection/forgivness offroad, I regularly use my road bikes offroad as I can get to the quite roads quicker by going along a few trails.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL OMITN!

glenp
    Free Member

With the exception of steep and rocky (which the OP doesn't sound like he is planning) you can easily ride more or less anywhere on a regular road bike. You might need to slow down to avoid punctures, but apart from that go for it.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Try the 24C[does fit a road bike] Halo Courier Berlin Puncture Protectiom tyres from billys.co.uk as these are fast on the road yet are designed to go off-road{closed block pattern with Twin Rails to reduce rolling resistance} Also do not forget the Raleigh Puncture Resistant tubes from cyclelife.com

epicyclo

Once upon a time that was all we had. Take a look at what used to be done by the members of RSF before mountainbikes.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Frame should be ok but using road parts off road is likely to break or increased wear.

You could always beef the parts up and upgrade the fork.

Bonti race x lite wheels for the road are also used by CX racers too.

aP
    Free Member

Just put some nice sturdy tyres on with a bit of a tread pattern and don't ride like a loon. It'll be fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘turn a road bike into a cylocross bike?’ is closed to new replies.