Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Turkey dilema
  • 12fifty
    Free Member

My regular butchers will do be a free range bronze turkey about 13lb for £65 he’ll make it into a crown and supply the wings and legs on the side, nice bird grown up the road in Aylesbeare.

Get a gammon from him and that’s a meat bill of nearly £90

Missus has just been to a Aldi and free range bronze at a 1/3rd of the price…but it’s from Aldi.

Is it daft to spend the extra, when lets face it i’ll get pissed and cook the thing for too long, grandma will complain it needs longer, I’ll carve it like a tool and at the end of the day nobody really likes turkey anyway?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Umm. I’d support your local butcher. It may be free range from Aldi, but I suspect your local one will be nicer.

It is a lot of difference in money though!!

Drac

Get a joint a beef and forget the bloody turkey or get a nice free range chicken from the butcher at less than half the cost.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

buy the aldi one, sell it to your butcher at cost and then buy it back for another tenner- everyone wins

iolo
    Free Member

Speak to the butcher. See if you can get the price down a bit.
    They alway try it on a bit this time of year.
    There is nothing nicer than a bit of free range turkey.

Drac

There is nothing nicer than a bit of free range turkey.

Beef
    Lamb
    Pork
    Chicken

To name just a few.

jekkyl

I’ve just picked one up from Aldi, great prices in there. I agree, will you hardly taste the difference? Buy the cheaper and some more booze with the difference. I got a lamb joint as well for a fiver!

shermer75
    Free Member

Use them or lose them. If you want the butcher to stick around, buy his stuff! 🙂

treaclesponge
    Free Member

If you get a huge turkey, will you use it? Most people I know buy an enormous bird, eat less than half then lob it away. Days worth of curry/sandwiches/casseroles and soups still left in it.

We usually just get a beef joint, much less hassle, easier to carve and eat and takes very little room in the fridge.

ssboggy

Get a joint a beef and forget the bloody turkey

This^ From the local butcher obviously

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Beef
    Lamb
    Pork
    Chicken

To name just a few.

^^^This.

wl
    Free Member

Probably depends largely on how skint/loaded you are.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Goose.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Goose.

^^^This. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

It may be free range from Aldi, but I suspect your local one will be nicer.

When I did Christmas dinner a couple of years ago I went to the local (well respected) butcher and got the best they had. I was disappointed – the worst turkey I have ever had – it even had a ring of fat/gristle running through the middle of the breast.

This year I am going to M&S on Christmas Eve to get a half price one – admittedly not for Christmas Day (we are going to my brother’s) but to cook for my family in the following week.

ads678

Buy all the Aldi ones and stand out side the butchers selling at a third of his prices!

Then go in and buy the from him obviously…..

gonefishin
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Goose.

^^^This.

Venison.

khani
    Free Member

Spam.

cb

I don’t get the “use them or lose them” argument. If my butcher was three times the price for the same thing he can sod off. Its a two way street.

Our local butchers cost more and we use them, but its nearer a 10-15% premium. Supermarket meat, IMO has, bar the odd racehorse, upped its game in the last couple of years (unless you buy the real tat that’s more water than animal)

LoCo
    Free Member

Picked up 2, 3 bird roasts (turkey, duck and pheasant) from Aldi for £20 each from Aldi this morning.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I never realised how much a turkey cost until recently (we normally have duck and gammon). If I was spending that much money on meat I’d be buying 42 day aged steak 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Free range organic turkey is the only type you should eat. Support your farm shops and butchers.

Supermarkets have proved to be shysters and do not care where their meat comes from nor about animal welfare and husbandry. They can not be trusted, horse meat anyone?

Drac

It’s a stupid price eboygomm I’ve ordered a 8lb Sirloin and 6lb free range chicken for less than the price of 12fifty’s turkey.

12fifty
    Free Member

hmm think we’re going to spend more on booze but buy the trimmings from the butchers…he does get a fair few quid from us to be honest.

cinnamon_girl

In my other life I was a regular at a farmer’s market. Sometimes I was given ‘freebies’ and asked to give them feedback on my next visit which I did.

Rarely buy meat from the supermarket, instead preferring to support farm shops who have ethics.

Currently checking out farm shops in my county, definitely not as many as Wiltshire.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Currently checking out farm shops in my county, definitely not as many as Wiltshire.

Near Romsey, IIRC, CG?

Assume you’ve tried these;
    Laverstoke – Jody Scheckter’s (spl?) place
    Robinson’s – Stockbridge. Best butcher I know.
    Leckford
    Kimbridge

LoCo
    Free Member

Wiltshire farm shops there are a few around Devizes, one out on road to Chirton (forgotten name), Rowdy Cow, (Rowde), another Melksham way near Stonar, all big concerns with the wood beam buildings and usually stuff 😉
    Also quite a few of the local farms will be doing birds if you know where to look.

chewkw
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

Venison.
    ^^^This. 😆

cb – Member

I don’t get the “use them or lose them” argument. If my butcher was three times the price for the same thing he can sod off. Its a two way street.

^^^This too. 😈

bearnecessities

Drac

Is that a tin of Caesar?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

No idea what the FIL is cooking this year, but it will definitely be curry compatible.
    Hoping that he is going properly traditional and cooking goose.

Last few years have been:
    Turkey
    Goose
    Chicken
    Duck

Mind is currently on Pork Pie production. Pigs trotters ordered from local butcher (£1 for 3) along with various bits of pork.
    Can’t beat a good Growler.

johndoh
    Free Member

We had goose last year. Majorly disappointing.

Drac

Can’t beat a good Growler.

😯

Nick

After arguing in defence of turkey on a previous thread we’ve now decided to have goose 🙂

Mainly because we go away early on Boxing Day so wont need the left overs

maxray
    Free Member

Not to sidestep but pork pie’s.. just picked a family size one up from a bakery in Warwick.. possibly the greatest tasting pork pie EVER!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pork Pie comes from Melton Mowbray. Stop being silly with your Warwick nonsense.

jekkyl

I tried sprouts yesterday at my works Christmas lunch, thinking I hated them as a child but your tastes change as you get older, give it go, popped one in my mouth with an open mind, euggghh absolutely gross & disgusting, made me want to wretch.

Bunnyhop

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Free range organic turkey is the only type you should eat. Support your farm shops and butchers.

Supermarkets have proved to be shysters and do not care where their meat comes from nor about animal welfare and husbandry. They can not be trusted, horse meat anyone? She’s right.

I always support my local shops.

Although I recount a story of my bil who worked in a butcher’s shop as a teenager. One Christmas the shop ran out of his best hand made pork sausages. My bil was sent to the nearest Tesco to by up as many of there saver range as possible, then passing them off in the butchers as his own. This was back in the late 1990’s and wouldn’t happen now (hopefully).

johndoh
    Free Member

I tried sprouts yesterday at my works Christmas lunch, thinking I hated them as a child but your tastes change as you get older, give it go, popped one in my mouth with an open mind, euggghh absolutely gross & disgusting, made me want to wretch.

Hmmm, I hated them as a kid too, but cooked properly (ie, not boiled into submission) they are really nice. Especially if boiled then pan-fried with walnuts and bacon goujons.

llama

Try it for size in the butchers

Buy it online

Go to butchers and ask advice on how to cook it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Turkey dilema’ is closed to new replies.