Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Turbo's: training videos?
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Been using the turbo and watching mtb vids and end up not really training very well. So Can anyone recommend any turbo training videos?

Ta

chaz
    Free Member

sufferfest

sufferfest.com i think it is

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I downloaded some Sufferfest videos this week.

Just be aware its named as such for a reason 😉

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Suffer fest sounds interesting… 😯

Anything else that doesn’t result in death?? 😳

theotherjonv

Which suffer fest vids come recommended then for a suffer vest virgin? Angels looks interesting, and downward spiral, and there is no try……..

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I think The Hunted has the best ‘narrative’. It leads you along without scaring you.

Problem with Angels is you’re toast at the end of the ‘warm up’ over/unders, then by the end of the first climb you fear the next two. Best to leave it until you are a more seasoned sufferer.

Hell Hath No Fury again has an amusing narrative to draw you along.

backinireland
    Free Member

hunted or angels are much easier than downward spiral

pguy78
    Free Member

Sufferfest Angels is a good starting point. Think its about £7 to download off their site.

theotherjonv

I’ve clicked buy on a combo pack of angels and downward spiral, plus another 30mins TT one I don’t recall the name of. Now waiting for download. Once done, can I copy the file across from the device I downloaded to (nexus7) to a PC or is that it done?

Liked the look of downward spiral because it says you can do 3 workouts from it.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The Sufferfest videos work well with Trainerroad especially if you have some means of measuring power. Even if you don’t Trainerroad has calibration curves for a load of turbos so can use speed as a proxy for power. Once Trainerroad knows your functional threshold power the Trainerroad workout that goes along with each Sufferfest vid is then automatically adjusted to give you the optimum level of suffering.

Just drop the video into the Trainerroad window and it synchs the workout.

Sufferfest is aptly named but it is good for giving you more sensory input to take your mind off exactly how much you are suffering- until the last interval that is!

Problem with Angels is you’re toast at the end of the ‘warm up’ over/unders

I reckon you went too strongly at the start. Used with Trainerroad and a power meter I did the over and unders OK but by the end of the last climb I was blowing out my ar$e.

theotherjonv

Not sure I follow why some are not suitable for beginners – its all perceived levels of effort, so while Spartacus would clearly be chugging out tons more power than us, we should all be suffering to the same extent. It’s whether you mentally can suffer through surely? And that’s the point of being motivated by watching a video and listening to banging tunes, instead of watching a clock.

(Famous last words – watch as I suffer, cry and die later)

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It takes a few goes to learn how to pace yourself in the first half.

backinireland
    Free Member

Just done the downward spiral
    ouch!!!!!
    can get through angels and the hunted fine but that was tough
    suppose its the part of my cycling which needs work, endurance and climbing are good but lack that sprinting type stuff

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 For trainer road, giving you a measurable aim seems to be a good thing, I just have the programme open and the must loud in the background

M1llh0use
    Free Member

So with the trainer road, I’ve got a compatible turbo and a garmin cadence. What else do I need?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for it to all work you can get an ANT+ USB stick that receives the info from the sensors This one I think and pay them $10/month. Their FAQ section is quite good on setting up etc.

jota180
    Free Member
    theotherjonv

Right – Angels done tonight. Not pleasant but do-able. I thought the overs/unders were pretty tough, then the first two climbs were hard but achieveable. But I couldn’t keep the effort levels on the last climb and had to be -1 on the perceived effort levels – no way could I hold 8+ for the last 8 min climb, and I was nailed for the big finish. But made an hour pass quite quickly.

If that’s ‘easy’ compared to downward spiral – Tuesday is not one to look forward to.

backinireland
    Free Member

Well I thought it was easy compared to spiral but then my endurance is better than my sprinting

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Sufferfest vids are hard going (for me anyway) but good. The Downward Spiral one hurts lots.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you’re feeling brave the Tour of Sufferlandria begins this weekend! I think they were doing some deals on buying the videos at a discount for it.

Also +1 for TrainerRoad. Works very well.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Downward spiral hurts, I really struggle with the hunted though. I try and push a big gear on the 20 minute climb, but pay the price for it after. Local Hero causes me to swear a lot.

For someone like me with zero motivation for turbo use, they are great.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just downloading my ‘The Hunted’ for use with trainer road as I type this.
    It’s my first, and I hoped it might be slightly easier than some of the others. Oh well 😀
    BTW are people staying seated for these, or getting out the saddle. I have a feeling my trainer would fall to bits if I tried the latter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seated for mine though using the sensors to gauge efforts is good.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Some of them have you out of the seat for attacks and climbing sections, but not for lengthy periods.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Turbo's: training videos?’ is closed to new replies.