Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Turbo Training Motivation/ Entertainment … What do you do to pass the time?
  • Everlong
    Free Member

Hi all

Due to the shady weather I have been restricted to using my turbo trainer in the garage. I have been ok up until now but it is begining to get really really boring! Any ideas on things to keep it interesting/ make me want to go out and ride it? I am always looking for reasons not too go!!

I've tried listening to music, watching flims on my iPod, reading magazines. Is there something else I can do?

Cheers in advance!

Paul

oddjob
    Free Member

Work so hard that you can't think of anything except how nice it would be to stop. I find a good workout doesn't leave enough brain capacity to get bored 🙂

Smee
    Free Member
    ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Planet Rock!

ianpv
    Free Member

Reading magazines on a turbo is impressive. Combination of fan + sweat can't work that well!

I got an imagic SH. well worth it.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Make sure each session has a structure/goal and just do it! Remember if you stop riding/exercising you lose fitness making those outdoor rides harder. Music also helps.

helsbels
    Free Member

laptop on table in front and iplayer on is the only way I can switch off from the boredom

richmars

Mix up the session, eg 1,2,3,4,5 minutes hard with 1 minute light between then 5,4,3,2,1. You shouldn't be able to get bored if you do it correctly.
    Plus quality not quantity.

rhys
    Free Member

Don't you have a wife or GF?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Igot a portable DVD player for £60 and stick it on a shelf in the garage and watch that while training.

MikeWW
    Free Member

I'm Surrounded By Idiots – Premier Member

http://www.thesufferfest.com

+1
    Really helps to have a structured programme

I also try and use rollers some of the time as well which helps to maintain some interest

ampthill

I haven't been a trainer for years but when I did I used the Album pyramid

put on a cd first track low gear good tempo cadence. Each track up a gear but maintain cadence. Then after say 4 tracks back down through the gears

ourmaninthenorth

+1 Sufferfest.

So painful. So good.

jedi

im sorry but if you're not committed to what you're doing why do it at all?
    turbo training is very powerful and should have a structure . that alone should keep you entertained

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

+2 for sufferfest, or a dvd on my laptop if I'm just having a steady, long session.

Everlong
    Free Member

@ Jedi

I ride for fun and enjoyment. The minute that the pressure of commitment comes into it I'll walk away.

Anyhoo.

I'm using the trainer as a means to get my weight down. I'm not too fussed about all the leg building stuff.

I've got an Xbox360 and small TV I could chuck infront but I reacon I'd probably end up forgetting to pedal or something! 😀

jedi

everlong, go out and ride then.

seriously. the turbo is a serious training tool.
    more fun in an hour outside

Everlong
    Free Member

I can't wait to go out on the bike again. 🙁 The only reason I'm stuck in the garage is that the weather is keeping me inside. I don't fancy slugging around in the ice. I don't mind it being cold, wet and dark but with the icy conditions aswell, i'm going to avoid for now.

What is the difference in using rollers as opposed to a turbo trainer? I understand that you have the balance aspect on rollers but what about resistance etc?

MikeWW
    Free Member

Everlong – Member

@ Jedi

I ride for fun and enjoyment. The minute that the pressure of commitment comes into it I'll walk away.

Anyhoo.

I'm using the trainer as a means to get my weight down. I'm not too fussed about all the leg building stuff.

I've got an Xbox360 and small TV I could chuck infront but I reacon I'd probably end up forgetting to pedal or something!

Based on your goal you might want to consider a set of rollers instead or as well
    More involved and because you need to concentrate its easier to put longer sessions in

glenncampbell

+1 on the sufferfest vids – just excellent. I really like fight club – makes the time pass – and loads more interesting than the CTS videos!

ElVino

I watch box sets of 24, doesn't involve much concentration to follow the plot but gripping enough to help ignore the pain, at 42mins each its perfect for me. I also use my HRM and have a target heart zone for the sessions.

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

See if you can find somehwere that does spin classes near you. I am lucky enough to have a spin studio nearby and it is absolutely brilliant. Have been off the (real) bike for a while but have been going to spin pretty religiously and can't wait to get back out for real, having retained/improved the fitness I usually lose at this time of year.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

spinnervals for me, or a surf dvd for a steady spin.

clowner
    Free Member

Slight hijack.

Can anyone recommend some sessions?

Picked up a turbo at Chrismas and mainly being doing various interval type session

uplink
    Free Member

I can't wait to go out on the bike again. The only reason I'm stuck in the garage is that the weather is keeping me inside. I don't fancy slugging around in the ice. I don't mind it being cold, wet and dark but with the icy conditions aswell, i'm going to avoid for now.

If you're only on the turbo to lose weight, get some running shoes on & get out
    Running will burn more calories & fat & the weather doesn't affect it

I couldn't think of anything more soul destroying than sitting on a turbo & spinning at at effort that allows you to read, I struggle to breathe/keep from puking/stay concious when on the turbo

crikey
    Free Member

Had three turbos over the years and hate them. Would rather never ever ever ride a bike again than spend any significant time on one.

They distil all that is good about cycling out and leave a tedious remnant that dulls my soul and makes me weep.

I am full of admiration for anyone who can manage to use as they are designed, but **** me I hate them.

jimthesaint

I know they are cheesey and formulaic, but because of that they are perfect for a turbo session.

I'm going on about the Rocky films of course. Warm up while Mickey, Adrian or Apollo dies. Up the pace while Rocky whips himself into shape. Then throw in some sprints while he ****ts Apollo, Mr T, Dolph, etc.

Rocky III is particularly good for a turbo session. I think the fear of Apollos gay sex dungeon and his un-feasibly tiny shorts motivate you.

Jason
    Free Member

I would also recommend Spinerval DVDs. They are a bit roadie biased, but easily keep you distracted for a decent hour work out on the turbo.

glenncampbell

To be fair I do agree – the turbo is soul destroying and generally awful – I do like the videos as they pass the time and it is a LOT better than nothing – snow on my local trails is too deep to ride and roads are a death trap so the turbo it is! (and the advice on running is true – my left knee is xxxxed so the turbo wins again!

crazy-legs

If you can read a magazine while on a turbo you're not doing it right, you're not getting any benefit even if all you're looking to do is keep your weight in check.

The session itself is supposed to be the motivator and be varied enough to be interesting and keep the concentration going. If you don't look forward to doing it and (when you DO do it you're reading a magazine) you may as well not bother.

Another vote for the sufferfest DVDs and this site: http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ is quite useful too.

beej

Last year I started the 144 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer training plan. I'm onto disc 5, series 4.

I also download films (action, comedy – superhero ones are good) from Sky and watch those.

Watching stuff is for gentle to moderate intensity (zone 2-3 stuff). Intervals need LOUD music.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I have done films (nothing with a complex plot) in the kitchen with the patio doors wide open or really high bpm music while watching the time and pyramiding I don't even bother with a turbo if you're reading or playing consoles

Marge
    Free Member

I watch Belgian cyclocross racing that I've recorded onto DVD & run a HRM.
    A race lasts about an hour – good distraction – helps motivation too.

hels
    Free Member

I've been at the turbo recently, first it was too snowy for the road bike, then too snowy for the XC bike, running became hazardous and eventually a walk in the hills was out of the question. It was that or watch the entire 4.5 series of Battlestar Galactica again.

But yes turbos are really designed for high-end fitness you will die of boredom trying to do base. LOUD MUSIC definitely required, I have various CDs and follow the speed of the song. For short sharp "ride till you puke intervals" I have a 1990s punk CD 45 mins with 2 minute fast songs. One song at 70% max, next at 80%, then 90% then see how long I can hold 100% etc, then back down the way, back up the way etc, with 10 minutes warm-up warm-down at either end.

And no bike to clean !!

Jenga
    Free Member

If you're using a turbo properly then you've no time to be bored. You will either be working properly, or recovering and dreading the next phase. If you are listening to ipods, watching TV or reading magazines then you are not using the turbo properly, and are wasting your time.

oldgit
    Free Member

Main main aid to releiving the pain and stress is a big office type clock with a seconds hand so I can actually see the time passing.
    Bit of music and a fan.

DWH
    Free Member

+2 on the sufferfest download.

Tried 'DownwardSpiral' last night and it is excellent.

ourmaninthenorth

Tried 'DownwardSpiral' last night and it is excellent.

Good isn't it? 😀 Trouble is, I've not seen much of the race footage (other than the Aussie crit) as I've usually got my head down and eyes closed concentrating on trying not to puke.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I have to do 30min/day turbo training with very low resistance to build up muscle again after a knee injury so can't follow any training programs. The best thing I've found it to try and coincide it with phone calls (explaining why I may be panting a bit!), otherwise fast-flowing TV or music videos are best.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If my knee could cope with it +1 for spinning at your local gym. I used to do them 4 sessions a week, monday, tuesday, thursday (2 x 50 minute sessions beck to back). Thurs hurt, a lot, but I'd leave people for dead on the climbs, I've not been able to push so far into an oxygen debt since I was in high school! I even supprised myself, cleared Stanage as a climb flat out without hardly batting an eyelid, so much power to get through difficult sections it ws just a case of point and shoot!

Much better as you can't slack, well, unless you want to look like a fat middle aged cyclist infront of the 20something lovelies?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Training Motivation/ Entertainment … What do you do to pass the time?’ is closed to new replies.