• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turbo trainers……………OMG!
  • ton

on the advice of my doctor, who said i could do some gentle cycling, i thought i would buy a turbo trainer.
    then i could spin away in the garden/garage/house, and if i felt iffy i could hop off and have a breather.

so i have just spent the last 30 mins doing the most painfull mind numbing cycling of my life……… 😀

is there a way to make these things fun?

Bregante

Normally on here people suggest sufferfest videos but in your case Tony, laptop with some nice and relaxing cycling footage, chilled music etc… Get well soon.

I’m out for 6 months minimum 😥

ton

mate, that’s not good.
    what you done?

and that advice sounds good.

tony24
    Free Member

I just stick 1 of the music channels on and watch the video’s etc on average every music video is about 3 mins just watch 10 vids and then its over…

steveh

I find a fan essential to stop me drowning in sweat and apart from that just sit in front of the tv.

Bregante

mate, that’s not good.
    what you done?

snapped the patellar tendon in my knee. Can barely walk 6 weeks after I did it so I know how you feel. Frustration isn’t the word!!

BTW Mrs B loves her new (old) bike

ton

bloody hell mate
    that is crap.
    at least the weather is good, quite nice for r n r.

i am glad she likes it, my mrs has a pashley princess which she adores.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ve got one in the kitchen ,fitted an odometer and the intention was to do 10 miles whilst I was cooking the tea every night ….no chance !!
    Took me about a month to do 10 miles.
    To get me through it I put on some random music mix then alternate the resistance from high to low for each track.I end up praying that the next tune will be a short punk track when I know it’s time to swap to high and then when it turns out to be some 12in dance remix my heart sinks,,,or more likely nearly explodes 🙂

robbo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h_lJRamkpc[/video]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oli is spot on when he says have a plan and mix it up. Been following the routines in the time crunched cyclist book, lots of intervals on the TT. Find anything longer than about 3 mins without some sort of cadence or gear change is hard mentally. Complex routines with lots of variation seem to pass much quicker.

Also put on some familiar tunes. I find a good 80’s channel on the radio works well as, despite not usually being my cup of tea, lots of familiar pop seems to make the time pass quickly.

Oh and get a fan to cool you down, a must for summer TT’ing.

oldgit
    Free Member

Fun is probably asking a lot.
    Good music helps. And a proper clock with a seconds hand, I find a clock like that helps, even if it’s only physcological, but I thinks it’s because you can see what you have done and the minutes passing by.

ton

when i asked, i should have said ‘not to get fit from using the turbo’.

just to be used so that i dont get out of being sat on the bike, so that when i am able to ride again, it wont be too much of a shock.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think mixing it up still applies. Even if it’s just easy spinning, vary resistance and cadence every minute or two, the time goes so much quicker. Might also try a bit of telly as distraction if it’s just a gentle spin,

Junkyard
    Free Member

MTFU you are training not having fun….**** MTBers
    Glad you are on the mend.

tazzymtb

rick kiddle traing DVDs work for me, as it involves looking at Victoria P getting all sweaty. Had a monster set yesterday after a nice ride in the woods and ended up having lord of the rings on. Was very very knackered by the end of it 😥

wallop

Watch some of the video compilations by this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ogonzilla

You could almost imagine you are there! 😉

robbooth
    Free Member

I purchased a turbo trainer the other day too .. Got the Mag CycleOps and a continental hometrainer tire .. Fitted this to my mountain bike and Im like a pig in sh*t atm, I’m lving every second of it.

I had bone removed in my left ankle 3 months ago, it was to be fused, but being told football, tennis and SPD’s would be out of the question forever after I decided with just the bone removal.

This turbo trainer is like a new lease of life, Im so happy I can still ride my bike, albeit it in some capacity while I fix up !

Also living in the lake district with all this lovely weather is a massive downer right now ! .. I praise turbo trainers, mp3 players and a good powerful fan

jonb
    Free Member

TV and DVD box sets/iplayer/4od etc.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers……………OMG!’ is closed to new replies.