• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Turbo trainers, worth the money or waste of time?
  • sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one to keep bike fit over winter. I do still ride in winter but not as much. Can’t decide what I think of these, have read good reviews and bad. What’s your experience? If you like them can you recommend one? If you think they are a waste, can you recommend what to do instead other than riding more in the bad weather….

Ed2001
    Free Member

As a method of training( particularly interval training) great, as an alternative to riding crap. I use mine most weeks and couldnt do without it however it does take discipline.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good for training. Very tedious if you just want to get some miles in, but ok if you do short-ish well structured interval sessions with plenty of variation (used some out of the time crunched cyclist this year that were pretty good.)

If you’ve not got a power metre on the bike then it might be worth considering a trainer that has one. Very useful for training. Otherwise just get one that has some variable resistance and isn’t too noisy.

Personally, I’d rather get the lights out and go riding in bad weather, sliding about in mud is great fun!

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

really dull and really sweaty, i could never do more than about 45 mins before getting totally bored, but if you find yourself feeling fidgety and restless when it’s always dark or snowing, it does the job.. i had to get rid of mine when my downstairs neighbour complained about his light fittings falling out – they are not ideal for a flat.

the more enjoyable alternative is some lights and gloves

frenhtony
    Free Member

Good for money if you get on em and work through some kind of programme. Waist of money if it stays in the cupboard. Simples

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Are rollers rather than a turbo trainer any better?

andrewh
    Free Member

For fitness turbo is better than rollers.
    For riding rollers are better than turbo. Certainly get you going in a straight line.

I got one of the fancy i-magic ones (relatively!) cheap off fleabay. Marginally less than dull than a conventional one but not a lot. Useful for comparisons, it has a built-in power meter and will store data on rides you do so can yourself from last season and see how you you compare.
    Due to computer limitations I’ve not got it hooked up to the interweb to race against other people but that sounds like it might have potential.

beej

If you’ve never done a four hour session on a turbo you’ve never lived.

You need a certain self discipline to stick with them. Interval sessions are less loathesome. I watch films/TV shows while on mine.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Rollers- less tedious? A bit . But I still wouldnt class them as an alternative to riding your bike outside.

geologist
    Free Member

Very tedious and dull. I even got a couple of the sufferfest vids to go with it for some motivational help.

I got one with the intention of winter training a few years back. But to be honest Id rather get cold wet and muddy outside.

You can have mine for 40 quid if you can pick it up, or i can deliver by hand. Im in Ludlow

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It depends what your attitude is towards training as to whether they’re worth it or not for you.

And for the love of God, use it mainly for intervals unless you want to go insane. Long in-zone rides on the turbo are mind numbing.

I use mine a lot in the winter, probably more than the road.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Geologist can you email some info on what yours is please? Might be interested (don’t live near, but am at the Cycle show at the NEC soon! My email is in my profile. Cheers

geologist
    Free Member

Hi sunshiner1der, I have actually just posted it for sale in the For sale forum.

You can have first dibs.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Essential piece of training kit for me. During the Winter, 2x60min sessions per week plus a weekend ride will easily keep your fitness up.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Geologist – will have a chat with hubby and see what he thinks, thanks for the offer! Picking up my new bike tomorrow and can’t wait to get out on it 😀

geologist
    Free Member

Excellent enjoy, like I have said, the cable resistance pull thingy doesnt work properly, I think that its something to do with the cable tightness, so could probably be sorted. I always just changed gear to add resistance, its more realistic 🙂

I cant be bothered to fix it as I dont think I will ever use it again.

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

Waste of time. In my opinion. I am a roady, I have used them before, I have also done spinning classes. Far more useful. A spinning bike, has a different feel to it at very high resistance and doing it as a group (of cyclists), led by a good coach you can improve much more quickly.

Else, I find I can do most training on the road (or off road when its Icy)

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

Waste of time. In my opinion. I am a roady, I have used them before, I have also done spinning classes. Far more useful. A spinning bike, has a different feel to it at very high resistance and doing it as a group (of cyclists), led by a good coach you can improve much more quickly.

Else, I find I can do most training on the road (or off road when its Icy)

MikeWW
    Free Member

Essential bit of kit IMO for structured interval work. Check out sufferfest downloads as well.

project
    Free Member

Got one, really good at building up power, and strength, you belt along the next day on the mtb, but oh so boring and noisy if you have floorboards.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Essential and works a treat in the front room in front the TV with a fan. Can watch dvd or Tv as I train. Its far more effective for fitness. Not a replacement for cycling or MTB though. An hour on the turbo is worth double to road or MTB for fitness. No slowing down for traffic and the only way to do interval training IMHO. When its wet and cold – turbo!

crikey
    Free Member

Hate them. Abhor them. Cannot jeffing stand them.

I’ve been through 2 turbos, and would rather stick pins in my Willy than get on one again. Is rather go out riding in the foulest, most horrendous weather than ride a turbo. They distil all cycling, stripping out all that is good, all that is pleasant, all that is splendid and leave behind a sweaty, dull, expenditure of calories, a road to nowhere, a ceaseless toil that extends seemingly unendingly into a dull and dismal future.

I’m not keen.

soops
    Free Member

I have one. Do you want to buy it?
    Elite crono fluid one

simonm
    Free Member

if you do stick to them, are they usefull for getting fitter on the bike ?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

waste of time, get some mudguards and a warm jersey.

oldgit
    Free Member

Excelent things.

Only worth it if you are using a stuctured plan, or recovering from injury.

You need somewhere that’s not going to be affected by buckets of sweat and spit and snot on the floor. Plus I swear my head off when it really hurts.

flow
    Free Member

I borrowed my brothers I-magic, I can ride on it for hours without getting bored, definitely worth the money.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

soops – what sort of money are you looking for? and where are you in this lovely country?

Cheers

hels
    Free Member

What everyone else said, plus IME the rim drive ones are better, quieter and don’t have that horrible lag in the pedal stroke. But more expensive.

Good for high end, sprints, power etc but you have to be structured, loud music, plenty ventilation, towels etc.

Rubbish for base fitness will make you hate cycling used for low intensity for long periods. My record is 3 hours recovering from an op when I was silly fit and keen to stay that way.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers, worth the money or waste of time?’ is closed to new replies.