Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Turbo trainers-noise
  • extremenik
    Free Member

Are the proper tyres any quieter?

I’m using a Mag trainer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What tyre are you currently using? I just use a very cheap slick tyre and no issues. Combined with a fluid trainer and it means the drive train is the nosiest bit of the whole thing.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I switched from regular tyre to turbo specific tyre to stop the tyre slipping under load. It did that but I don’t remember noticing it being any quieter. Sorry.

hitman
    Free Member

they are quieter and don’t wear out as quickly

skink2020

I use a very cheap mag turbo trainer which was noisy as france.
    I found some inch thick rubber mat and cut four squares out of it and put one under each contact point of the turbo. It dampened the vibration and racket from laminate floor to a remarkable degree.
    Definitely worth a try.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Theres mag trainers and mag trainers though. My cyclops was far noisier than my minoura one.

The tyres didnt seem to make much difference other than lasting longer.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Some turbo trainers generate more noise than others.
    Wind resistance trainers are awful for noise.
    Some magnetic trainers can produce a horrible droning noise as the magnets spin.
    A rubber mat may help reduce noise from vibration but not from the unit itself.
    I use a fluid trainer and have been happy with its low noise.

the_lecht_rocks

Tacx booster mag here, quiet and greatly effective.

Northwind

Conti turbo tyre made no difference to noise that I could tell. That was on an incredibly noisy cycle ops one though, my tacx is quieter so who knows, might be quieter still when i finish burning up cheap worn out road tyres.

mintimperial

I’ve got a rim-drive mag Minoura one. Based on readings taken with my finely calibrated audio monitoring equipment (my ears) I can tell you that it’s more-or-less as noisy as the only other mag one I’ve heard in use, which is quite noisy but not annoying once you get used to it. Having said that, the wife will only let me use it in the garage, so it is clearly quite annoying if you’re not trying to make yourself sick by pedalling very fast. Use this information as you will.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Mine is terrible running in the shed, but I`m sure that’s the floor acting as a huge soundboard ?

It was better sat on some cut up camping mat to isolate it

That’s a Cycleops fluid trainer too

bob_summers

The thing that makes the most noise on mine (after the owner’s grunting) is the slight buckle in the old wheel I keep for the job. I’ll true it one day but as noone lives downstairs and I have headphones on, I never get round to it.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Mine is terrible running in the shed, but I`m sure that’s the floor acting as a huge soundboard

I have exactly this issue, reverberates like mad, Im sure the whole road can hear it. In fairness I have my earphones on quite loud so tend not to notice, and as above, its a secondary noise to my rasping as Im breathing out my arse.

In summary, they are loud in varying degrees.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers-noise’ is closed to new replies.