Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Turbo trainers, HOW LOUD!?
  • captaindanger

Just bought a riva stealth from Rutland, it’s ridiculously loud to the extent that I don’t feel I can use it after 8pm for fear of annoying the neighbours. Is this normal for magnetic turbos? Seems to be at a certain speed it just goes mad

matt1986
    Free Member

Have you put a turbo trainer tyre on? Something like this http://m.evanscycles.com/products/continental/ultra-sport-hometrainer-tyre-ec022220

Tom-B
    Free Member

Pardon

Nobby

I find I can’t hear it if I whack something really loud on to watch or listen to whilst spinning. 😉

captaindanger

I have a normal tyre on, but it doesn’t sound like noise from the tyre to me, sonds more like a mechanism of some kind. Wouldn’t be able to drow n it out with anything that would not be considered noise pollution!

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Turbo tyre plus some matting underneath (I use a cheap set of foam floor protectors from a sports store) tends to lower the noise/vibration.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I got one of the Cyl-ops ones with a fluid based resistance, seems a lot quieter than some of the others.

toppers3933
    Free Member

they can be very noisy. fluid filled ones tend to be quieter but more expensive. the trainer specific tyres can make a difference but they can also be a pain in the arse to fit. putting it on matting is a good call.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have a turbo specific tyre, fluid turbo trainer and rubber mat. I still wouldn’t use it in the house in the evening because of the noise. Shed only for me.

garage-dweller

Try a wind based one then flippin heck they are loud. Luckily mine is 50 feet from the house.

marrv
    Free Member

Give it away. they are the devils work.

hels
    Free Member

The ones that sit on the rim are much much much quieter, not to mention heaps better as they are smooth and don’t have that horrible lag effect.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Elite Fluid trainer here. £140 and very quiet ie can talk to mrs when on it, watch tv at normal volume, not wake light sleeper 2yr old up stairs.

iain1775
    Free Member

FunkyDunc +1 Tacx Santori Pro magnetic trainer on a mat on a wooden floor

traildog
    Free Member

I have a wind based trainer and it’s very loud indeed. I have to wear ear plugs if I’m doing fast intervals on it. A mat underneight helps. I don’t use special tyres, just old ones which are worn anyway, but I’ve been told special tyres help with the noise. Too much expense for me though.

I would however use a different tyre on the trainer than on the road. The trainer flattens tyres very quickly and they then feel strange and don’t corner well when on the road. Having said that, I’m using the same tyre at the moment, but I have to be careful cornering.

Phil_H

The type of floor will have an effect on the noise.
    Concrete noisy
    Suspended timber really noisy

rocketman
    Free Member

I think the noise from my old magnetic trainer was one of the main reasons I stopped using it – it sounded like a Chinook helicopter WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP

captaindanger

Yep this sounds like a copter… Fluid ones much better are they?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The sound should be consistent, (whatever the noise level), if it makes a distinct WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP then I’d suggest you have a pedaling technique problem.

seizednuts
    Free Member

Yep magnatic an wooden floors here. It drones like mad wich annoys the next door but they pi$$ me off with bad parking so its all good. 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers, HOW LOUD!?’ is closed to new replies.