Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Turbo trainers & Garmin add ons
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Just wondering, for training with the likes of the sufferfest videos, what would be more beneficial a speed/cadence sensor or a HRM as an add on?

Would the HRM enable me to better gauge the efforts displayed, say for example if it says 8/10 would you work at 80% of max?

As for getting max HR is it just a case of flogging yourself over a period of time and see what the peak is? In a mon scientific / laboratory test kind if way

Rubber_Buccaneer

I went for both (cheapest I found at the time was on Amazon) but if forced to choose I’d say HRM so you can gauge your effort by heart rate. More use for the lower intensity bits than the full effort times when you are just flat out. Cadence will give you a notional speed and distance as well as telling you your crank revs but they are maybe a little less usefull and you can count revs easier than heart rate I think.

MSP

Cadence/speed & hrm & ant+ dongle & trainer road.

Rubber_Buccaneer

and I suggest you read up on HR zones etc. Your 8/10 being 80% of max is unlikely to be quite right unless the videos explicitly say that, if they ever suggest a level of 2/10 I’m not sure you will be able to get your HR to 20% of max.

supercyril
    Free Member

I have 5 or 6 vids and I don’t think at any point do they mention heart rate. Cadence speed is used however. As for the ratings I just go by perceived effort and rarely look at my heart rate as it lags behind too much.

MSP

If your using sufferfest videos. then trainer road can estimate power with the garmin speed cadence sensor, and give targets that match the video.

steve_b77
    Free Member

MSP – what’s trainer road?

MSP
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gents … how do you make sure your turbo and bike is set up the same on each session?

My turbo is basic and you have to screw the fly wheel into the tire, so to speak. Therefore I’m thinking trainer road is for me as the turbo “pressure” will never be constant.

Am I missing something obvious when setting up or do other turbo models make constant pressure possible.

Cheers all

thomthumb
    Free Member

same tyre pressure and count the turns of the flywheel screw. not exact but is a start.

MSP

The pressure of the tyre on the flywheel doesn’t effect the turning force required (unless the tyre is slipping on the wheel).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

yeah, thanks … there no getting away from it I’d thought of that but I do monumental amounts of faffing trying to get on my turbo as it is… guess l’ll have to be more organised… but is trainer road worth it?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

MSP … re tire pressure.. Honest question are you sure, sir? Could you briefly explain please

MSP

make sure your turbo is listed as one they can estimate power for, and give it a try, its $10 a month, so about 6 quid, and you can cancel at anytime, give it a try and see what you think of it.

I have a hdmi output on my laptop, so I put it on my bigscreen TV. I probably wouldn’t use it without the sufferfest videos, IMO they fit together really well.

MSP

MSP … re tire pressure.. Honest question are you sure, sir? Could you briefly explain please

Yes the resistance is provided by an internal mechanism (fluid/fan/magnet depending on model) the contact of the tyre on the flywheel has no effect on that. I guess if the tyre was under inflated then the ratio of cycle wheel turns to flywheel turns would change, which would effect it. But for normal use the differences would be too small to worry about. And it is only estimated power.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Good info … thanks MSP

the00
    Free Member

Hmmm. The force pressing the roller to the tyre will effect rolling resistance, and large changes will make a difference. I think some trainers use a spring to achieve a constant contact force.

MSP

No it won’t, there may be a small mechanical inefficiency between the tyre and the flywheel, resistance is provided by the trainer, you are not trying to move the tyre surface at a different speed to the flywheel surface, they should stay constant and just become part of the system that uses the force applied at the pedals to drive the actual internal mechanisms of resistance.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if the tyre pressure is lower will it not change the gearing ratio between wheel and small roller (maybe negligable effect)

I’d always been told to keep the tyre pressure the smae, so i check it regularly.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers & Garmin add ons’ is closed to new replies.