• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Turbo trainer tyre
  • simmy
    Free Member

I don’t use the Turbo Trainer for long periods, just the odd 1/2 hour blast when it’s raining but the old tyre I’ve been using is cracked now so just wondering if it’s worth getting a tyre specifically for use with the turbo ?

If so, any recommendations ?

Thanks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

IMO no, I just use the cheapest slick tyre I could buy, which was about £6.99

trailwagger
    Free Member

Depends on how much you use it.

They are generally quieter, and last a lot longer than a standard rubber tyre.

The downside is having to have a second rear wheel to avoid having to change the tyre every time you ride indoors/outdoors.

BadlyWiredDog

As above, worth it if you have a spare, cheap, turbo wheel, less so if it means you swapping tyres every time you want to ride indoors.

jamiep
    Free Member

Halfords do one for around a tenner if I recall.

thomthumb
    Free Member

They are generally quieter, and last a lot longer than a standard rubber tyre.

no and yes.

mine is so loud i’ve taken it off. DCRainmaker agrees that some are louder.

jonba
    Free Member

For short blasts I just use the tyre that is on. When I stop riding my race bike outdoors and set it up on the Turbo for winter I just use any old tyre. Normally the last one that was on. It will go bald and square off over winter but that isn’t an issue when there are no corners and not much to give you a puncture.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ive got one of those blue ones. had it three winter now and its still decent.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve upgrade the wheels on the road bike so I use the original wheel for the turbo so I can get away with having 2 wheels.

Think I will get one of those Halfords once as, like I said, I don’t use it much just for a quick blast after work or when it’s really throwing it down.

lunge

I’ve upgrade the wheels on the road bike so I use the original wheel for the turbo so I can get away with having 2 wheels.

This is exactly how I ended up with a turbo wheel. I’ve got a Halfords turbo tyre on it and it works, seems quiet and doesn’t slip. I think it was only £10 ish.

JAG

Yes – I think it makes a big difference.

I ran a normal road tyre for the first Winter of Turbo sessions. The tyre gradually disintegrated leaving bits of Black rubber all over anything within range!

I have the Orange Continental Turbo tyre. Makes it all a bit quieter and stops the bits of Black rubber from getting everywhere 8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer tyre’ is closed to new replies.