Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turbo trainer or spin classes?
  • jim25

I’ve got a turbo that i’ve never really used as I cant be bothered with the fath or changing tyres to use it all the time. So do I buy a cheap bike to live on it permantly or use the money for spin class’?

Never done spinning, so is it just for fat wobbley women is their actually a strength/fitness benefit to it?

blurltrider
    Free Member

For a few wobbly men as well!!

flap_jack
    Free Member

If you actually turn up the resistance and ignore the person shouting instructions at the front you can have a decent interval session. Sit at the back, no-one will notice you doing your own thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom Box Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom B...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fudge9202
    Free Member

I find it is hard to motivate myself to use the turbo trainer but find that the spinning classes are great and good to be in a group very social

jim25

Think im gonna give it a go this week.

kinda666
    Free Member

I enjoy my spin classes, had some new bikes in this week and matrix appear to have dropped the livestrong sponsor off there bikes 😀
    Covered 24k in 40 mins according to the computer that now work on the new bikes..

Some folk do appear to look like they are out on there shopper bikes though, I am in the sit at the back and put 100% in gang though..

mogrim

Spinning depends massively on the instructor – with a decent instructor the classes are definitely a good workout, and you’ll notice the difference on your bike. As with all exercise you’ll get out what you put in – leave the resistance off and you won’t get much out of it. A HRM is quite a good idea if you’ve got one as it’ll let you know when you’re really going for it, or if you just think you are… There’s also the eyecandy to consider, you may want to sit further back 😈

If you decide to stick to the turbo a cheap back wheel with a slick on it is a lot easier to deal with than changing tyres all the time. Don’t forget the wheel doesn’t need a brake rotor.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I bought cheap turbo bike not looked back. Set up in living room. Turbo in front of TV. Have turbo training DVDs and use Youtube streamed to the TV. Almost zero setup needed to start and finish session apart from choosing the session and selecting the media. Cheap too. You have to pay for spin sessions. Let’s be honest if your not motivated then getting some to do it for you won’t work in the long term either. Before I bought the bike I used my normal road bike didn’t change the tyre no need.

kinda666
    Free Member

My spin classes are included in my gym fees.. Certain classes are better than others to be fair..

giantx4
    Free Member

Is turbo for sale???

iainc

Just in from an hr in the velodrome – best of both worlds and similar price to spin class (obviously very location dependant !)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Both are excellent if done right. Get a good instructor and properly challenge yourself with the resistance and you’ll easily get to the very nearly puking stage in no time. If you don’t like the spin class you’re in then then try another until you find an instructor that teaches the way you like.

Turbo is also great. I find that I need something to follow so use trainerRoad software which works a treat, other use video’s or whatever.

Given absolute free choice I’d do both. Keep my sprint and explosive sessions on the spin bike and my endurance / threshold sessions on the turbo. If I had to pick one I’d pick the turbo just so that I could vary the workout whenever I wanted to rather than when the instructor wanted to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the instructor is very good then the spin class (the view can be good too) if not forget it.
    Turbo get some idea of what your doing – I used http://www.trainerroad.com/
    with the Garmin GS10 to do a virtual power based workout the plans seem good and the live feedback is good to get an idea of whats happening in your legs Vs your perception of what you are doing. I could watch the power drop off despite putting in the same perceived effort.

Coupled with either loud music I like (not the shitty 20somethings dance hits compilation they play in gyms) or something good to watch on TV/laptop depending on what I was doing.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Spin class and amuse yourself looking at the poseurs in MTB shoes that have never been worn outdoors. Alternatively spare back wheel (assuming you only have an MTB), turbo and TrainerRoad.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Spin class and amuse yourself looking at the poseurs in MTB shoes that have never been worn outdoors.

Easy now, I had a pair of mtb shoes that I only used for spinning classes because my normal bike shoes would be caked in mud and gradually deposit it all over the gym floor. I thought that was a bit inconsiderate in a shared facility.

closetroadie
    Free Member

Spin class. For the first few weeks I had max heart rate for almost the entire 45mins. I’ve been doing it for a few years now and it has made a difference. I’ve got more efficient (lazy) so I don’t flog myself as much as I used to (I need to change that).
    You just have to put up with being completely dominated out-numbered by the women in the class

mogrim

Easy now, I had a pair of mtb shoes that I only used for spinning classes because my normal bike shoes would be caked in mud and gradually deposit it all over the gym floor. I thought that was a bit inconsiderate in a shared facility.

Likewise, not to mention I use Atacs at home, and all the spin bikes are SPDs.

retro83
    Free Member

I enjoyed spinning aside from two things:

1. The weird ‘hover’ position they keep making you get into with your arse about an inch or two off the saddle. Does anybody ever ride a real bike in this position?

2. Forgetting that the bike effectively has a fixed wheel and stopping pedaling.

Otherwise it’s not bad if you actually turn up the resistance (unlike most of the regulars).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer or spin classes?’ is closed to new replies.