Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Turbo trainer on a 150mm axle Help.
  • lesoxdh
    Free Member

Hi all.

I need some help with trying to get a Turbo Trainer on my downhill bike. From having a little son at the end of August and my friends engine finally going pop i have not got out much on it and both me and my girlfriend want to get fit. so had the idea of getting a turbo trainer. The only concerns apart from getting a new rear wheel and dropouts. How do i get my Santacruz Bullit with a 150mm (http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/bullit-2-0-150mm-dropouts/5899) fit the Turbo trainer. The axle bolts into the dropouts.

PLEASE HELP ME

MrTall
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be easier just to buy an old sub £20 bike off ebay or the classifieds and slap that on there? All you are doing is pedalling so does it have to be on your FS bike?

Seems like a far easier solution to me?

lesoxdh
    Free Member

good idea but looking at spending as little as possible.

wwaswas

by the time you’ve sorted out a bigger front ring and a bald tyre for the Bullit you may find it’s almost cheaper to get an old road bike from your local free-ads.

mintimperial

Is the axle hollow? Can’t tell from that pic. If it is you might be able to stick a QR through it. My rim drive turbo trainer came with a QR that fits in the bolts that hold the wheel, and the ends of the QR then take all the weight of the bike. If you can do that you’d not need to spend anything…

lesoxdh
    Free Member

The axle is not hollow. it looks to be drilled from each end but there is about 3-5mm left in the middle. Also a QR axle would not fit after the allen key depth.

STATO
    Free Member

Do as others have said and pick up a beater to run on it. Apart from the obvious difficulty you have identified it will be horrid to ride, it will bob like pogo stick and the position will be terrible. You say your getting another rear wheel and dropouts? £150 min? plus a turbo £50 min? You can pick up a cheapo road/mtb for £50 from you local paper, and if your that concerned about costs find a exercise bike from your local charity shop.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer on a 150mm axle Help.’ is closed to new replies.