Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turbo Trainer Help!
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Got a basic turbo trainer Elite Volare with resistance adjuster, from another thread went onto YouTube gnc channel for inspiration.
    They talk of cadence and power level measurements how do I measure these?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Cadence you count. Power you’ll need to splash some cash. Or manage without.

whitestone
    Free Member

For cadence you need a sensor like one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-speed-cadence-sensor/

For power depending on the setup you can either use virtual power which is an estimate based on cadence and the resistance you have set the turbo at or you need a power meter http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/training-energy/power-meters

It does depend on which training software you use, I’ve not used the GCN videos or setup

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Speed sensor and cadence sensor linked via ant+ for trainer road for me. Gives virtual power. Get that wallet out

fudge9202
    Free Member

Power meter too expensive in comparison to my needs. Not a roadie but speed/cadence kit looks the job.
    Cheers

wilburt
    Free Member

Speed and Cadence from wiggle are £44 but you may as well get HR as well(£26), you’ll also need someway of receiving the ANT+ signal thats a Garmin normally but if you want power you need an ANT+ dongle(£10 amazon) and something like Zwift to calculate your power from the trainer speed.

So your looking at a minimum of £54 and a 14day Zwift trial.
    Volare needs to be set at level three btw.

pdw
    Free Member

What are you actually trying to do? No point in buying a GPS computer for something you’re only ever going to use indoors.

If you just want some numbers to work with, any cycle computer with a cadence function will do, which you should be able to get at a fraction of that price.

If you want to use something on your laptop (Zwift or Trainer Road) you need an ANT+ speed and cadence sensor, and an ANT+ USB stick.

Whether the virtual power numbers you get are meaningful depends entirely on how consistent the resistance is on your turbo, which will vary with tyre pressure, clamp pressure, resistance setting and probably temperature.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m completely new to this, was planning on using YouTube channel gnc videos to use alongside turbo trainer so if I only need a bike computer with cadence measure and can be linked to a hrm please recommend me one.

tmb467
    Free Member

So to jump on this thread – I’m considering trainer road and this

bontrager speed sensor

To connect my iPhone to the sensors. The virtual power on trainer road has the settings for the turbo

What else do I need – apart from some legs and a bike?

mrblobby
    Free Member

A sick bucket for the 8 minute test.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Was thinking of the Cateye V3nt
    Any thoughts?

wilburt
    Free Member

Your asking the wrong questions-

You can measure cycling effort in thee ways: effort, think how hard am I trying 1-10, heart rate, you need a monitor either ant+ or bluetooth depending on what you want to do with the reading, power, idealy through a strain gauge but also using a speed sensor on a turbo with a known power curve and some third party software to work out what the power is likely to be at any given wheel speed.

Cadence has mothing to do with the power calculation but knowing it helps you get in the optimal range and do work to improve your high cadence technique.

I suggest before you buy anything you get Jo Friels book and read up on the subject or just ride to effort.

whitestone
    Free Member

@tmb467 You might need an ANT+ dongle for the iPhone.

johnnystorm

If you have a smartphone/tablet and will be watching the videos on something else (a laptop) then the cheapest generic (or wahoo) Bluetooth speed/cadence sensors and HRM will do and use with the Wahoo app (free, works with any bluetooth sensors and links to strava)

I’m a recent convert to trainerroad, working to power rather than heart rate and cadence alone is far more satisfying.

The other thing you’ll need is a bloody big fan to cool you, and then some headphones so you can hear the video.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just to jump in here for a moment, the GCN videos are just that, videos so there’s no feedback from your trainer so if you’re just using those there’s little point in buying an Ant+ dongle for your computer….

gwaelod
    Free Member

If you don’t have, or intend to get a garmin then get Bluetooth cadence/speed/hrm sensors and link them to your androind/apple. Alternativly buy wahoo sensors that do both Ant and Bluetooth

tmb467
    Free Member

Think that Bontrager one I got is dual ant / Bluetooth…

I’ve made some space for the sick bucket

What is this thing called suffer fest?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Trainer Help!’ is closed to new replies.