• This topic has 84 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Turbo petrols vs diesel
  • Edukator
    Free Member

12.1 kWh/100 km x 7500 km = 907kWh per year, say 1000kWh + if you include charging inefficiencies. Add to that house consumption of 1600kWh and we still consume less than the 3400kWh our solar panel produce.

What I hope will happen is the same as with cigarettes. As EVs take over the tax on fossil fuels will steadily be increased as it has been with cigarettes so smokers pay progressivley more tax for their anti-social habit.

wilburt
    Free Member

Reciepts from vehicle licencing have been falling for a while hence the change this year.

From memory its about 5 billion with the remainder 30+ coming from fuel duty.

The loss of that 30 billion will be gradual over the next 50 years.

andyl
    Free Member

There are going to be big changes as we see an increase in not only electric cars but also self driving cars and a I suspect a lot more people using car share type schemes.

Less fuel duty and most likely revenue from speeding fines. Potentially much less accidents and much lower pollution related illness so maybe some savings for the government to offset the taxes.

I’ve not seen any figures yet but surely running costs for electrics cars should be much lower and when things steady out with 2nd and 3rd gen vehicles I can see depreciation slowing greatly so coupled with much cheaper servicing and much less repairs the knock on will be more disposable income so higher taxes elsewhere wont have as much impact.

jimjam
    Free Member

Gonna be a lot of job losses too – lorry drivers, delivery drivers etc.

iainc

having just taken delivery of wife’s new 999cc, 3 cylinder turbo petrol yesterday I can say that I am mightily impressed with the engine. We traded in a 7 yr old 1.6 ‘normal’ petrol Kia Soul. The new car (Q2) is significantly nippier, with an immediate pickup from low revs and was still pulling well at 60 mph when I slowed down 🙂 It doesn’t really feel significantly less torquey than my big DSG diesel estate. Over the 40 miles it did yesterday from rolling out the dealership, on urban roads, it was showing 46 mpg.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Turbo petrols vs diesel’ is closed to new replies.