Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Turbo or rollers?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Being virtually housebound due to snow is driving me insane. I am tempted to buy a HRM and either rollers or a turbo. I’m not training for anything, but am just aware I do no exercise whatsoever if the weather is not good at the weekends. In danger of becoming a bit lardy.

So far I’m leaning towards rollers as they look more fun, and I don’t have to change anything on the bike. Can you still watch DVDs whilst on them, or is that going to end in pain? Can the resistance be varied like on a turbo?

And finally, any bargains to be had?

Cheers!

svalgis
    Free Member

Fatbike

Mowgli
    Free Member

Tried it, hated it. Not interested I’m afraid!

And even if I liked it, no way I’m buying a new bike for the few weeks a year it would be justified. Please don’t turn my thread into a fatbike debate though!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have both and the rollers are so much better. I have the Elite Arion with 3 resistance settings and I can do everything on the rollers that I can on the turbo. They’re good for technique too as they encourage smooth pedaling and the use of your core.

I haven’t touched my turbo since having the rollers and tonight I managed no handed too. 🙂

I believe a few others have the same rollers as mine.

Spud

Pondering rollers too, how long does it take to get used to them?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

After about 10 minutes I felt comfortable on them and could ride one handed and take a drink bottle. Very natural now and I’ve only had mine for 4 weeks.

yoeddy79
    Free Member

Rollers are much better and nicer to use. Feels like your riding a bike as it moves all the the width of them. I haven’t used my turbo since getting rollers.

paulo123
    Free Member

For me it depends what type of workout i’m doing if I will use the turbo or the rollers. Interval type stuff or a specific workout and I will always use the rollers. If I just want to switch off and spin away at a steady HR the turbo comes out. My concentration goes on the rollers after an hour though, never a good thing.

jeffm
    Free Member

I have both, but use my rollers more now. I prefer just being able to get straight on without the faff of putting the wheel on the turbo (lazy, I know).
    Rollers are easy to use and you’ll get the hand of it quickly and you should be fine at the end of the first session (if you are a decent cyclist).

Mowgli
    Free Member

So watching telly is ok then? I couldn’t face spinning away in the living room without some form of entertainment.

What if there’s a car chase scene – does it make you fall off?

Underhill
    Free Member

Only if you’re riding 2 abreast & they try to overtake you

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Turbo for the sole reason I can change films etc on my laptop without slowing down so its a full uninterupted 2hr workout, with no stopping starting or getting off and can sit up no handed and stretch my useless back off.

JAG

OK – I already have a Turbo trainer but I’d like to try some rollers.

Which Rollers would you suggest?

I think I’d like something with variable resistance any suggestions?

Mowgli
    Free Member

From an hour of ebay/google, seems Elite make the fancy ones, and Tacx make some cheaper ones. All seem a bit more pricey than I’m willing to spend, although re-sale value does seem quite high.

I think I could make something much cheaper and just as good, if I had a workshop 🙁

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

If you have a decathlon nearby check to see if they have Tacx Satori in stock – £129 for the pack with mat etc at moment, they keep going in/out of stock.

I’ve got a BKOOL turbo, which (other than the dire name) is working out rather well so far for training while its snowy/icy or just too dark and nasty after work.

svalgis
    Free Member

Please don’t turn my thread into a fatbike debate though!

Sorry, wasn’t completely serious in the first place and didn’t mean to derail the thread – just some saturday night cheekiness I suppose. Cheers!

thedobbster
    Free Member

go for rollers….. I picked up some tacx galaxia’s which rock with your movement for just under £200 from bike-discount.de. Not massive resistance like a turbo but plenty enough for winter training. As for watching TV …. I find it safer with the Ipod in!

stevemtb
    Free Member

I got the galaxias too at the back end of last year. Still get a few twitchy moments on them but nowhere near as bad as the first day!

Bought them to replace the turbo and have since got a new turbo too. I like the rollers for a recovery/easy day or for fairly light intervals. I do a session with a few others a few times a week when the hard intervals can almost leave you hanging over your bike after them. Just find on the rollers I still have to concentrate on staying up right so can’t really max out and zone out. Sure they will get better once I’m fully used to them.

The turbo is definitely more boring if not following a DVD but I’m glad I have both available to use.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I tried the whole turbo thing and got bored of it quickly even with a dvd, I always thought i’d done loads then look at the clock and realise i’ve done 15mins.

I live near big hills so have started taking my singlespeed and seeing how far i get up.

All the bridleways etc are too bloody deep. Ended up going for a walk round carrying my bike last weekend.

I started circuits a few months back, that’s a laugh.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Turbo or rollers?’ is closed to new replies.