Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Tunes initially you thought were awful, but now realise are things of genuis
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Listening to several tunes and realising that on first listening I thought they were awful. It could be applied to practically every Fugazi album ever (works of genius, all), but more recently to this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9eKBMp6xnA[/video]

binners

I hated it at first. I think it was due to the dodgy UK Garage remixes they originally released for radio. On proper listening realised it was genius, and absolutely love it, as well as pretty much everything he’s done since

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I hated it at first. I think it was due to the dodgy UK Garage remixes they originally released for radio. On proper listening realised it was genius, and absolutely love it, as well as pretty much everything he’s done since

Agreed. I think the record company well and truly ballsed the album release up by releasing the more ‘poppy’ singles.

jabbi
    Free Member

Bentley Rhythm Ace!

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno about specific tunes, but couple of artists I thought were pretentious twaddle until I listened properly – Aphex Twin and The Orb.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Tunes initially you thought were awful, but now realise are things of genuis

Not sure if thread titles can be edited. Quoting in case they can…

cokie

The whole SWMRS- Drive North album.
    Such a good band. They opened The Pit at Reading this year and their stage presence was amazing despite being so early and pretty empty.

Listened to their album and thought it was awful at first, couple plays later and it’s one of my favourite bands.

Much the same as Future To The Left.

_tom_
    Free Member

Fugazi for me as well, took me ages to get them. I never thought they were awful I suppose, just didn’t get why everyone thought they were so good.

ChrisL

The first thing to pop into my head is Angel Dust by Faith No More. A friend had lent me The Real Thing and that was my introduction to the band but when I first got Angel Dust I found it pretty challenging and I initially only liked a few of its tracks. Then as my musical tastes broadened and my familiarity with the album increased I came to regard it as Faith No More’s best album by a wide margin and an enduring favourite of mine.

somafunk

Not a tune as such but as it should be listened to in it’s entirety i’ll throw it in.

Frank Zappa – Joes Garage

I’ve a mate who’s the biggest Zappa fan and for years i disliked his music but over the past few years he’s grown on me and this album is just pure genius

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aqualung.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve been beaten to it for Zappa so I’m going to have to say – The Birdy Song.

bedmaker

Early Roxy music stuff with it’s out of tune synth weirdness and terrible singing. Somehow ends up great!

_tom_
    Free Member

Cokie thanks for posting, I just checked them out and they sound great! Someone on youtube said they’re like Fidlar but way better which I think I’d agree with.

I originally dismissed the streets as well but found myself quite enjoying them when I took a proper listen.

crikey
    Free Member

Rio by Duran Duran.

Just by typing it, a thousand middle aged men will be singing it in their heads while pretending they like grime or grunge or whatever other dismal rubbish is de rigeur these days.

colster808
    Free Member
    metalheart
    Free Member

Kanon Pokajanen by Arvo Part.

When I first bought it I was probably trying to impress the girlfriend at the time. Played it, went right over my head, when asked pretended I liked it (she saw right through me though).

15 years later I dug it, thought I’d better give it another go…

Now it’s my most listened to cd. Minimal Estonian choral music, who’d have thunk it…

colster808
    Free Member

Fugazi…amazing. Superb live. Haven’t listened to their last few. Must search them out.

curto80
    Free Member

Always used to skip FEELING CALLED LOVE on Pulp’s Different Class before, roughly 15 years later, re-discovering it for the epic masterpiece that it is.

colster808
    Free Member

Original pirate material still sounds great.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just by typing it, a thousand middle aged men will be singing it in their heads while pretending they like grime or grunge or whatever other dismal rubbish is de rigeur these days.

You really are old, grunge was like…20 years ago maaaan.

bueller
    Free Member

Used to hate Supergrass but recently decided they were massively underrated.

Early stuff particularly, like Caught by the Fuzz.

DezB
    Free Member

Old. And weird.

Funny about Supergrass – loved them at the time, but it sounds like naff novelty music to me nowadays.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered about Fugazi….would someone recommend an entry album for them?

ocrider

Fugazi?
    Start with 13 Songs, or maybe Fugazi followed by Margin Walker ;-)*
    Then move on to Repeater… (chronological, innit)

*13 Songs is the Fugazi ep and Margin Walker LP’fied

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The Smiths!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Battles

johnx2
    Free Member

Ha! I was just going to post the Smiths. Walked out of an early gig (didn’t pay), when I think they were already big in the NME. Whatever, slagged them off for about three years before enforced listening (flat in Turkey, limited music) made me change my mind.

crikey
    Free Member

…and she dances on the sand…

Northwind

My brother still takes the piss for this, we saw Biffy Clyro supporting OPM in Edinburgh and I literally stood up the back and heckled, thought they were beyond terrible. 2 years later I got their logo tattooed on my arm 😆 Bestest band evarz.

sirromj

Quite a bit of Aphex Twin stuff, including his Cheetah EP which I’m really enjoying right now.

darrell
    Free Member

Ricochet by Tangerine Dream

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not sure if thread titles can be edited. Quoting in case they can…

😳

Fugazi?
    Start with 13 Songs, or maybe Fugazi followed by Margin Walker ;-)*
    Then move on to Repeater… (chronological, innit)

*13 Songs is the Fugazi ep and Margin Walker LP’fied

Repeater is my personal favourite, probably because it is has slight two-tone overtones creeping in with the percussion and bass. But then TBH every album is different.

RustySpanner

[video]https://youtu.be/uPudE8nDog0[/video]

As a kid, well into punk and metal, it was a bit of an epiphany when I realised I actually really liked this.
    And ABBA.

Open your minds, it’s all just noise, some you like, some you don’t.

Rio is bloody awful though
    🙂

martinhutch

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNjrBUzXDJk[/video]

I’m just getting old, aren’t I?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Young fathers, thought they were a bit shit at first…

munrobiker
    Free Member

I thought Steppenwolf’s “Born to be Wild” was shite until I saw a live performance of it on BBC 4. Previously it sounded like dad rock, but seeing it live I got how exciting it must have been at the time.

scaled
    Free Member

Venetian Snares always made me uneasy when I heard his stuff when I was out.

I listened to it when I wasn’t off my head and just kept on listening, it was still unnerving but in less of a ‘run away and hug your teddy bear’ kind of way, after a while it becomes compelling.

Plan B’s “Who needs actions when you got words” is horrible but genius, I thought it was just crude and vulgar (which it is) but it’s a lot more as well.

zinaru
    Free Member

I was a bit underwhelmed on the first pass of –

‘Music from the Unrealized Film Script: Dusk at Cubist Castle’
    by The Olivia Tremor Control.

Then I listened again, and again…

I’m a bit of music snob and have a habit of righting loads of stuff of almost immediately and then rediscovering it on shuffle and loving it.

bob_summers

I have always been a music snob unfortunately, which has caused me to miss out on a lot of amazing stuff.

Fugazi was easy for me, having already got into a lot of US hardcore.

I didn’t like the Smiths, because the spoddy kids at school listened to them. Love them now, ditto Stone Roses… Neil Young… JAMC… all initially ruined by the 6th Form knobbers.

Never ‘got’ HMHB when Peel played them, but I’d go so far as to call it genius.

Even though I didn’t like it, I listened to Capt Beefheart at school because I thought it made me cool (it didn’t), properly got into it much later.

Finally, I’ve never liked the music, but have ABBA ever released a bad song?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tunes initially you thought were awful, but now realise are things of genuis’ is closed to new replies.