Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • tumble dryer with wifi!
  • ian-r

Very exciting but had a new tumble dryer delivered last night. Opened the box and saw a wifi sticker on the front. This wasn’t even included in the product description.

Why would I want to control a tumble dryer from my mobile!!!!

Even more ridiculous was that there were more pages in the user manual devoted to connecting to the wifi than there was on how to dry your clothes.

(For those of a sensitive nature the dryer is rated A++ for efficiency :-))

monkeychild
    Free Member

the internet of shit

I’m looking forward to the “my tumble dryer was part of a DDOS against the NSA” thread 😉

tomd
    Free Member

lol@ the internet of shit.

I think, and I’m not a tech geek and own no “smart” devices other than a phone, that the potential big hope with “connected” devices is that you can integrate them with a properly smart electricity grid.

So if there’s a supply pinch on the drop you could turn appliances on / off to help balance supply rather than firing up more supply. Also more opportinity for variable pricing.

leffeboy

As tomd says, variable time/pricing is the only real reason to do it but it is a very good reason.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I can see it being vaguely useful.. My tumble dryer is out in the shed (it’s brick not wood) and an alert through an app to tell me it’s finished could be useful. Shame you can’t use the app to go out there to empty the water out of it or bring the dry clothes in and fold them.
    I spose this is where the smart WiFe function comes in handy…

slowoldman

Shame you can’t use the app to go out there to empty the water out of it or bring the dry clothes in and fold them.

Not to mention the ironing. Oh, the ironing.

ian-r

tomd “a supply pinch on the drop” Wazzat mean?

cloudnine I can see that, as long as your wifi reaches the shed.

I guess you a right about remote switch on. I fitted solar panels so I guess I can switch it on if I know its sunny. Just the slight issue of knowing in advance and loading it up before I go out?

tomd
    Free Member

typo, sorry. Power supply problems on the grid basically. Currently all the grid can do is ask big industrial users to back off or bring some hydro on quickly but it would be much easier to manage the grid if they could turn 1,000,000 fridges off for a few seconds instantaneously.

onehundredthidiot

I guess you a right about remote switch on. I fitted solar panels so I guess I can switch it on if I know its sunny.

Or hang the washing out in the sunshine?

dknwhy

At least it can let you know when it’s about to set fire to your house…

scotroutes

I was looking at washing machines recently and a Samsung had Wi-Fi but it was primarily for looking up error logs.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Our Nest thermostat senses when we’ve (our mobile phones) have left the house and turns the heating off, I suppose it could turn the tumble drier off too, to save accidentally leaving it unattended.

matt_outandabout

Mine is not wifi, but it has NFC and I can download an app with more wash options on, and in future if it breaks down I can report it via app to manufacturer, to assist repair peeps before they get here.

Equally, I bought it because it was cheap….

I would de-activate online tumble drier.

Drac

Woooahhh! Stop everyone.

You read a manual?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This has nothing to do with direct benefits to the user. Big Data and the Internet of Things and all that other stuff is all about enabling devices to record as much data as possible. data is free to gather so you, or Google or some other big tech company, may as well have it than not. Then this data is made sold to other companies who can use that data to try to sell you more services/info/products specifically targeted at you and your day to day habits.

It really is as simple as that. Data is a commodity that has value, that can be sold to other companies that use the data to add even more value and sell that back to you or onto other organisations. We gather the data for free for others to make a killing from.

dknwhy

@wobbliscott – but think of the benefits! It’ll let you know exactly when your tinfoil hat is dry!

scotroutes

Given the supermarkets scan each roll of tin foil as they sell it then they must also know who is buying it all.

Makes you think!

Del

I’m looking forward to the “my tumble dryer was part of a DDOS against the NSA” thread

LOL. my first thought too.
    ‘OP’s tumble-dryer, coming to a botnet near you’ 😀

if you connect it OP, change the password 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As to balancing power demand, I saw somewhere a proposal to use the slight shifts in the AC frequency to do exactly this. I’m patiently waiting for a supplier who’ll charge me slightly less if my freezer and washer pause at times of peak load. And I could switch in an immersion heater when the price gets really cheap.

*Continues dreaming*.

funkmasterp

I don’t understand all this. It’s a dryer, if it dries clothes it’s doing everything it needs to do. Next it’ll be Samsung Dry-O-Matic 5000 requires a firmware update. Please read the new terms and conditions before starting your next dry cycle. 🙄

monkeychild
    Free Member

if you connect it OP, change the password

This +lots!! The amount of crap out there with default creds or no creds is bonkers!! The sheer amount of NAS drives baffles me (personal details for all to see!!). Cameras well..
    there’s a sex shop in America that has default creds on it’s entire CCTV system 😆 “the lube dome camera” always causes a chuckle.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘tumble dryer with wifi!’ is closed to new replies.