• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tuesday full day ride in the South East – inspire me
  • bubs

I am taking Tuesday off to “go riding” but where should i go? My current options:
    1) Surrey Hills – ridden there 20+ years, my normal area and so not very different but high on fun factor
    2) Swinley – never found it very exciting but should be dry’ish and can just blast round a couple of times
    3) South Downs around Pyecombe – big sky riding in the summer but could be a slog now
    4) North Downs – out the door riding and so could do a mammoth loop but again not very different and a mud fest
    5) Bedgbury – can you make a day out of it? Has it improved since 7 years ago?
    6) Other?

kelron
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d spend a full day at either bedgebury or swinley. They’re fun for a couple of laps.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what you mean by full days riding?
    There loads of nice expansive riding routes in and around the downs both sides of the Medway bridge that I’m sure you already know about -conditions on my side have been very good this year-I’m just about to head out after yesterdays rain though so….so hopefully just leaves and twigs to cope with so far but I’m sure Mr Mud will be along soon no doubt.
    There’s also Blean area ,Kingswood,Wye Valley etc if you want to head Ashford way or there good riding around Sevenoaks/Ightham areas too.Joydens Woods has some nice compact fun riding and can once again be linked into a much bigger routes.

leegee

Kent North Downs is gonna be very muddy. Friston and Stanmer park, or Redlands and Ranmore are my suggestions

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Is your side in a bad way already then Lee?I haven’t ventured over for a while.

malgrey
    Free Member

North and South Downs are already pretty muddy/slippy, I’d stick to Surrey Hills, but maybe try a new variation on routes you know?

Or go to Swinley, but maximise the off-piste riding to vary it. That is in mostly very good condition at the moment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

ALL dayer … definitely not Swinley and the obvious choice of Surrey Hills you’ve done many times.

How about something around QECP, a few trails and then some South Downs Way out and back or perhaps a loop ? Downside is that could be very slippery on chalky sections and boggy on the muddy bits

bubs

How much riding is at QECP – I’ve only ever been through it when doing the sdw? Are the trails marked? Could be a good mix of fun bits and old school exploring.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Depends on what your definition of ‘go riding’ is.
    Mine is push up a hill & go down as quickly as possible & repeat until tired. Therefore I would suggest aston hill, tidworth freeride or windhill bike park.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Bubs there is a way marked trail around QE but you would need to mix it up with other stuff to make it a full day.
    Some fun stuff at Whiteways but like the North Downs you need to know where it is. Again would need to be combined with something along the Downs.

thepurist

Start at swinley, head down through porridegepot (while it’s still there) to tunnel hill, from there over to minley then back to swinley. If you can’t find a route/guide just go exploring, the place is riddled with singletrack.

spooky_b329

Big Sky South Downs and explore Stanmer Woods singletrack. Park in the Uni and you can do Stanmer twice, once on the way out and once on the way back.

leegee

Is your side in a bad way already then Lee?I haven’t ventured over for a while.

Wednesday it was very good but the rain Friday and yesterday have made it very muddy, Even Trail wars was bad earlier. I think it will dry out

scottfitz
    Free Member

bubs – Member

How much riding is at QECP – I’ve only ever been through it when doing the sdw? Are the trails marked? Could be a good mix of fun bits and old school exploring.

5km (all weather) blue trail
    5km red trail
    Head out East towards Harting to extend the ride longer.

DrP

If you head towards Worthing way in either the am or evening, I could show you around a few trails…
    ‘My group’ ride from 1930 in the eve (so bring lights, obvs..) and I don’t work the morning, so could make myself free to show you around??

DrP

bubs

Thank you for the info.

DrP – kind offer but my “full day” is new dog and child dependent and so I can’t commit to any times.
    I am actually looking forward to a bit of old school xc and map work.

senorj

old school xc you say?
    Norbury park – Polesden Lacey, Ranmore common , Up Leith Hill to Holmbury Hill.Stop in Peaslake for refreshment , up Pitch hill , down into Shere and up Newlands corner , back along nd way. to ranmore and back down the church Bway towards Westhumble.

I haven’t done it in a while but it used to be a fave of mine.

tor5
    Free Member

You could try hindhead & follow your nose, there’s everything from cheeky DH trails to long XC stuff out to hankley and thursley commons, mostly sand or loam, so other than occasional big pots it’ll be pretty dry.

lardman
    Free Member

Stick to the main bridleways at the top of the south downs, you’ll be mostly free of the proper sloppy mud.

Stanmer is still fairly free of the proper gloop too.

As someone said above, a loop from Sussex university area will get you a good long ride and back.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

tor5 you got some sort of route for that, been trying to piece together something from trailforks and strava for a few ride in Hindhead?

scottfitz
    Free Member

tuskaloosa – Member

tor5 you got some sort of route for that, been trying to piece together something from trailforks and strava for a few ride in Hindhead?
    There is nothing at Hindhead, move on 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

purbecks.

nedrapier
    bubs

You could do gee’s Surrey Hills 100 miler?!

I really couldn’t.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tuesday full day ride in the South East – inspire me’ is closed to new replies.