Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tuesday Dartmoor bimble – fumigating the soul (some pics)
  • yunki
    Free Member

After I got dragged into the fuming road user debate yesterday, I needed to shake off some of those suffocating internal combustion engine vibes and treat my mind to an invigorating detox..

looking south from Bowerman’s Nose

some views from Greator rocks

Dingly Dell

bottom of Bowermans

can someone identify this pretty lil’ blue flower..?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Lovely…

yunki
    Free Member

😀

eviljoe
    Free Member

Lovely- must head up there soon.

Will show flower to my mum who is some sort of authority on these things…

wallop

It’s a cornflower, isn’t it?

slugwash
    Free Member

Looks damp, overcast and thoroughly miserable 😉

Have you chucked your 456 in the bin* and replaced it with a Cotic then Yunki ?

*(was thinking of doing something similar)

yunki
    Free Member

Slugwash –

that’s exactly what I’ve done.. dunno why I didn’t do it sooner*.. I was sceptical about all the hype but it turns out that Souls really are magic and delightful.. honestly amazed

*(I hadn’t yet misappropriated enough funds from the housekeeping, and this minty pre-CEN limited edition frame hadn’t come up on the classifieds)

ontor
    Free Member

lovely – I’ve got that loop in mind for today. Either that or a loop around burrator. Or widdecome-warren house loop.

I love Dartmoor

ontor
    Free Member

Any Bivi action in the pipeline? I was up there for a few days or so a couple of weeks ago & am thinking of sneaking up in the week in the next few weeks

yunki
    Free Member

quick google suggests that it’s not a cornflower.. it was exactly like the flowering head of a chive plant, but the colour (and plant) are different

I’m not sure about a bivi.. Slugwash is your man..

I’m still not allowed to stay on the moor with strange men from the internet, but I did manage a glance at those Gelert solo tents for 29.99 at trago at the moment without Mrs Yunki rolling her eyes..

That loop was quite a good ‘un.. short and sharp.. Bovey Station, Pullabrook, Water, Bowermans, Hound, Leighon, Stinky Quarry, Bovey..

the Soul is so playful that I rode quite a few descents as ascents, although pushing up back over Bowermans towards the Hound was a bit unnecessary, will definitely ride around instead next time

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Just noticed the rigid forks. So I’m not the only one loopy enough to ride around here without suspension.

ontor
    Free Member

Three of us Sprocket

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

That’s a relief…. I was starting to worry I was different from the other children.

slugwash
    Free Member

I was sceptical about all the hype but it turns out that Souls really are magic and delightful..

I wasn’t after a Soul but have my Inbred 853 coming back from the frame menders soon (cracked chainstay). I bought the 456 as a temporary replacement til I got around to getting the Inbred sorted. Two years later I’m starting to find the 456 a bit harsh out on those longer rides. It’s a brilliant trail centre frame, climbs well and goes where you point it but the Inbred 853 is like a plush, comfy sofa 🙂 and, as any other Dartmoor rider will tell you, I’m a gentle trail trundler and not a gnarrrcore jumps demon. 😉

I won’t be chucking the 456 in the bin though if anyones after a Chocolate 18″ hardtail frame in the near future.

@ Ontor: We stopped texting/e-mailing people ‘cos they never replied or rarely showed up so we presumed people were no longer bivi interested.

Weekends are busy on the domestic front at present so mainly doing kayaking/canoe close-to-home bivis in August, but we’re talking of a possible two day Okehampton to home bivi excursion when the sun shines sufficiently again.

I might be up for a midweek South moors bivi though. I’d have to leave earlyish though to get back down to work in Totnes in the morning. Let me know. 🙂

eviljoe
    Free Member

My mum reckons the flower is a scabius of some sort.

I’d be up for bivvying some time soon- keep me in the loop …

Shackleton

Most likely devils bit scabious. Although could be field scabious (unrelated). If it was damp most likely the former, if dry meadow area likely the latter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tuesday Dartmoor bimble – fumigating the soul (some pics)’ is closed to new replies.