Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubular Tyre Issues
  • walleater

This tyre is a couple of weeks old. Someone did the stretching, and someone else did the gluing. The tyre had a bit of a wobble (more of a narrow cross section and then a wide section) which may also have been an installation issue, but could have also been a faulty tyre.

The tyre went flat (air rushing out of the valve intersection, but I guess the tube could be damaged elsewhere? We took the tyre off and the inside of it ripped super easily along around a foot long section but was fine everywhere else. Would this be in line with someone initially stretching the tyre too much?

cchris2lou

what tyre is it ?

are you sure it is new ? looks very dry .

goldenwonder
    Free Member

That does look old & dirty for a new tub.
    Base tape can be replaced easily enough by those in the know
    http://www.tubular-tyre-repair.co.uk

YoKaiser
    Free Member

How did they stretch it? If it was on the rim then that shouldn’t have caused any damage.

walleater

The tyre is a Kenda Super Domestique, fitted new around a week ago by a road racer / mechanic who’d done plenty before. The carbon rim was also new and I think around three lots of glue were applied to the rim and a couple to the tyre. Not entirely sure.

The customer is getting a new (different) tyre FOC from us regardless of who’s at fault as Kenda deny any issue from photos that he took of the installation, so all is good there. Just wondering why the tape would rip so easily.

I don’t know how the customer stretched it but the new one is currently being stretched on a rim!

LS
    Free Member

The base tape can do that but it’s usually on older tubs that have been really well glued (think CX tubulars) or when someone uses something pointy like a screwdriver to aid removal.
    There’s a technique to doing it.

walleater

Thanks. I was the one who removed the tape. I used a big blunt tyre lever to initially get under the tire* and worked that between the tire and rim for some of the way around, and then just fairly gently pulled the tire directly off the rim for the rest of the way. All was great except for that one section.

*I see my moving to Canada is showing as I keep defaulting to spelling tyre with an i…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubular Tyre Issues’ is closed to new replies.