Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubular rim mounting process
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Hopefully getting some carbon tubs next week along with some FMB super mud tyres.

Been looking at the glueing process and there seems to be various different ways of doing it, although all consistent with layering the glue over a few days to allow it to cure. I’ve found a couple of videos that show this but one also uses Belgium tape too. So, what are your preferred methods, and how have the tyres held? Also how often would you use Aquaseal if using hand made tyres?

Vids;

Video 1

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cklWTowWR0[/video]

LS
    Free Member

Super Muds come with a sidewall coating pre-applied so Aquaseal/Seamgrip isn’t necessary. Neither is tape. There’s no guarantee that the glue in the tape and whatever liquid glue you choose will be compatible.

I work it like this –

Layer on rim, layer on base tape (the first base tape layer will take a lot of glue as it really soaks it up). Leave for 24hrs.
    Repeat, leave for another 24hrs.
    Final layer on each, then mount immediately while still wet. Line up the base tape on the rim nice and straight. Roll the wheel along the floor with your full bodyweight and about 20psi in to really push the basetape onto the rim. Pump up to about 50psi and leave for a couple of days before riding.

I normally have to get the tubs off with a screwdriver at the end of the season. I’d rather risk destroying a tub taking it off than rolling one in a race!

njee20
    Free Member

When I rode (road) tubs our mechanic (who had also spannered for Roger Hammond) insisted on a meticulous process of glue/tape/glue, done over a couple of days, with epic amounts of tweaking and fiddling to get it just right.

I rode them, and within 100 miles or so both had ‘rotated’ slightly so the base tape was significantly more prominent on one side (maybe 2-3mm) or so. They settled down after that, but it didn’t do much for my confidence that the tyres weren’t going to roll off the first time I threw them into a corner.

When I replaced them I just did a layer of glue, left it an hour (IIRC – as per the instructions on the Conti tin) and they seemed fine.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

As usual I have over researched it and the glue and rim tape set my mind ticking for that very reason njee, and as LS said, you can never be sure of the bond between the tape and glue.

Crossjunkie’s option does seem to be the preferred method on the internet. Obviously never glued any before so want to be sure how to do it so to avoid any tyre roll.

njee20
    Free Member

The glue is pretty bloody strong, without incredible temperatures, either atmospheric or from prolonged braking I reckon you could just chuck it all together and you’d be alright!

LS
    Free Member

If it’s any help, my method is stolen from an ex junior Superprestige race and Elite-level trophy race winner and U23 national champ.
    I’ve never rolled a tub glued on this way and I don’t think he ever did either (despite being about 85kgs and going into corners harder and faster than you or I ever will).

lightman
    Free Member

I have always used tape, but Im going to be a team mechanic next year and need to be gluing them on, so I had a look and found this very simple way of doing it with limited use of messy glue ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCvSa5_RwyU

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubular rim mounting process’ is closed to new replies.