Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubs not gluing – Any tips?
  • scratch
    Free Member

Prep was:

1. New rims new CX tyres
    2. Inflate tyres and stretch for 24hrs
    3. Even spread of glue around rim + tyre – left for 24hrs
    4. Even spread of glue around rim + tyre – left for 24hrs
    5. Glue around rims, mount tyres as soon as glued, inflate to 40psi leave for 24hrs

Came home tonight and pulled the straight off the rim as if they’d not been glued…

Carbon rims and tub glue FWIW.

Should I remove all glue on the rims and start again or redo the laying process?

oldgit
    Free Member

Curious. Never had an issue. What tubs and rims?

scratch
    Free Member

Planet X + Dugasts

Sanded the rims down before to, theres a good coat on the rims, I just didnt expect to pull them off as easy as that, but I’ve never mounted any before.

How do you get them off again normally? should they pop off easily?
    I’d guessed not

oldgit
    Free Member

Once totally flat they just pull off quite easily.

aP
    Free Member

Go Belgian – Jantex tape after the 2nd coat.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How cold were the rims & glue? I keep mine in my spare room (room temp) and all good here.. Sounds like you are doing the right things there though.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You didn’t use Conti Carbon specific glue did you? It’s total crap, use the normal stuff and use isoprop to clean rim before sticking and you’ll not get them off easily.

cchris2lou

do you use carbon glue ?

continental do different types .

scratch
    Free Member

Yeah conti carbon glue, I did let them down to remove, i was suprised how easy they came off when flat. Should I just glue the rim up again and remount? I wanted them for the weekend if poss

cchris2lou

i glue rims and tubes , leave it for an hour, more on the rim and fit the tube . they last forever .

not carbon rim though .

scratch
    Free Member

The glue is layering up on the rim OK, it just dosnt seem that tacky to the touch

cchris2lou

try normal glue, in the pot .

mtbmatt
    Free Member

How thick are the glue layer? You only need a very fine coating on the first pass.
    Maybe worth trying different glue. The Vittoria glue is rated best I think.

scratch
    Free Member

Yeah its only a fine coating on each pass, no huge lumps or anything, balls! just looks like crap glue, should have researched a bit more but thought non-carbon glue might do something daft to the rims or something.

Being CX tyres I wanted to run them pretty low, at the mo’ they look like they’ll just rip straight off the rim on a grassy corner.

Back to clinchers for Sunday, I’ll get some Vittoria on order for the next go.

Any tips as a cleaning agent?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Acetone and hard work.

scratch
    Free Member

Great….this stuff does seem to peel off quite easily.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Did you glue the rim and tyre immediately before fitting?

I have same tyres and rims and followed the same process as you. 2 x glue on rim and tyre, then before fitting, glue rim and tyre then fit. Only difference with me was that I used Vittoria Mastik One.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You can use a half round file to get the thick off the rims, the Conti carbon stuff just peals off anyway, I think it’s designed to not stick very well to save damaging rims when taking tubs off, I want them stuck on TIGHT for cross and crits!

I’ve been using the non carbon Conti glue on cross and road tubs for 10 years and like I say, use the method you did before and they’ll not come off without a fight.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tufo Tape ftw

crispycross
    Free Member

You may well need lots more glue. When you pulled the tyre off, did it look like it was stuck across the full width of the rim or just at the edges? Check the fit of tub on rim. If the rim’s too deep and it didn’t touch in the middle, you need to fill this gap with a 1/2 width old basetape or similar. Not rim tape because you’ll never get the original glue off it.
    When you’ve mounted the tyre, put 1 bar in or so to give it shape, wrestle it straight then let all the air our and roll the wheel over a broomstick or dowel, 2 or 3 cm diameter, putting your weight on it to really push the tub onto the rim, especially in the middle. Put a bar or two in to get the shape back and leave overnight.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubs not gluing – Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.