Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tubless rim and tyre… do i need sealant??
  • renton
    Free Member

ive just got some 2 bliss eskars off a mate and was wondering about running them tubless.

i have tubless rims and these are tubless tyres so do i need some sort of sealant in the tyre aswell??

cheers

steve

grumm
    Free Member

Yup – Stans generally seems to be reckoned the best.

nickc

Yep, you still need something to fill the hole from punctures

doug_basqueMTB.com

I use maxxis tubless or bonty big earls and 819's and don't NEED sealant. I've run them both for several days without sealant before when I've run out. Having said that, I use stans sealant because the big benefit of tubeless for me is the lack of punctures and without sealant you'd still get thorn punctures.

NEED = No, WANT = Yes

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I am fairly sure that the specialized tyres (like bontrager TLRs) are tubless ready rather than full UST. As such they will want some sealant in to block up the tiny holes in the sidewalls etc.

My bonty tyres have a logo on warning of death or injury if they are run tubeless without sealant.

Always worth putting some in anyway to protect from punctures.

br
    Free Member

No, you don't need them – some of the XC guys run without to save weight… although you'll probably find the flatten off after a while.

But I would use some, say 50ml per wheel.

giantjason
    Free Member

as others have said you dont need sealant, but if you do use sealant the benefit is that punctures are rare.

mickasaki
    Free Member

I've had some tubeless kenda's on for about a year now without sealant, but i do ride thetford forest which is pine only so no thorns! Surely as long as the thorns stay in the tyre, they will plug the hole anyway! Works on car tyres with nails etc most of the time, you dont get a flat untill you remove the nail/screw etc

Spunkmonkey
    Free Member

Pretty much what doug_basqueMTB.com says.

I changed to tubeless a couple of years ago and will never go back to tubes. Now looking at a tubeless set-up for my road bike, but may go for sealant in tubes instead.

creaser
    Free Member

I raced a full season downhill this year on tubeless without sealant and not one puncture although it did burp once on the front

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tubless rim and tyre… do i need sealant??’ is closed to new replies.