Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubless issues in the cold weather
  • sheldona
    Free Member

On the commute in this morning my tyres started to leak, had to stop twice in 11 miles to slap some air in! Is there any sealant thats not affected with cold temps?

hopster
    Free Member

Not had any leakage from mine and I reduced the pressures to give me a bit more grip. What temperature does stans start to freeze at? The stuff in mine was still liquid out on the trails as some came out when I let some air out.

eddie11
    Free Member

It seems nothing in Britain is designed to work at these temps. trains, roads, the post, central heating. bikes are not immune

Went a ride first thing this morning which required some pre ride fettle-ing. Tyres were fine (I run tubes) but all the grease and oils were like some sort of slow moving glue. wierd.

singlespeedstu

It started to leak cus you is a woksmuglingchunk.

Nothing to do with the cold.

mboy
    Free Member

Bung a bit of car radiator antifreeze in with the mix mate, perhaps 25% antifreeze, 75% your normal sealant… Does the job a treat.

It seems nothing in Britain is designed to work at these temps. trains, roads, the post, central heating. bikes are not immune

Saw a thread on MTBR forum yesterday about "winterising your Internal Hub Geared Bike" which I thought might be interesting considering I've recently bought an Alfine Hub and it's a bit chilly outside here right now… These guys were a bit serious though! Asking about tips on what oil to use for sustained riding in -30c or below! So I closed the thread without embarrassing myself…

scruff
    Free Member

The only times my tyres have not resealed (twice in 2 years) has been in below zero temps. It just doesnt work too well in the cold.

Antifreeze sounds plausible if you can be bothered, but will it eat at the rubber ?

Pukz
    Free Member

Anti-freeze should not eat the rubber – As it goes i believe Bonty Super juice has something similar to antifreeze in it as standard.

Minus 25F (Minus 32C) freeze point < Not bad!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubless issues in the cold weather’ is closed to new replies.