Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • tubless – do you carry spare sealent?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ve just changed to tubeless ready, would it be wise to carry a small bottle of sealant & a spare valve?

chiefgrooveguru

No, I carry a spare tube. Not had to use it yet though…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Spare tube here too, just in case.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

get one of these;

http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?pid=481&product=81

and a CO2 inflator.

If that doesn’t work then fit a tube.

sadexpunk

aye, just a spare tube here too, and not had to use it yet either.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Two spare tubes.

Hot tip: if you get a puncture that wont seal and want to fit a tube, beware that you will have multiple thorns stuck in the tyre: search thoroughly!

Nothing worse than sticking a tube in, and it immediately going “pffffff”.

handyman
    Free Member

i run tubeless and take a spare tube but also a spare valve and the tool to remove the said valve should the first one get damaged and it has happened on a rocky ride

chiefgrooveguru

Hot tip: if you get a puncture that wont seal and want to fit a tube, beware that you will have multiple thorns stuck in the tyre: search thoroughly!

Hadn’t thought of that, thanks!

Garry_Lager

Another hot tip – Not getting a puncture for 2 years is awesome and all but what d’ye think happens to the valve in that time if it doesn’t get touched?

It can corrode and get jammed on the rim with the locknut frozen, meaning you’d be stuck out on the hill if lightening strikes and you do get a puncture. Had two mavic valves get welded on like this, but noticed it at home fortunately. Probably a good idea to unscrew and re-seat the valve once every so often.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

1. Weldtite kit as per wwaswas – which has been sat unused in pack for 12 months now.
    and
    2. Two spare tubes. Not as over-cautious as it sounds as I also ride another bike tubed.

Gone from a record of 3 pinchflats in a single descent of Garburn (with tubes) to none in over a year now. Still getting plenty on the tubed hardtail so will be trying ghetto on that soon.

br
    Free Member

Worth for the first few rides carrying a small bottle, just in case.

Plus pliers/multi-tool to get the valve out.

Putting a tube in, while an option is usually a pain due to the number of thorns you’ll find already imbedded into the tyre – but I still carry one.

If out by myself I’ll carry a couple of co2’s and a pump, if with others, just the co2’s.

soobalias
    Free Member

i carry the spare sealant inside the tyre.

tube for emergencies and the packet from my tangfastics as an tyre boot.

DezB
    Free Member

I just borrow a tube from Realman.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the wife’s had a ride ruined by a seized valve, couldn’t fit a tube as the valve was stuck, long walk ensued.

we carry C02 inflater and a weldite kit as well as a spare tube.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive had a seized valve mid Peak ride, thankfully someone had a mutitool with pliers on.

I’ve tried those silly string hole fixers twice fixing tyres at home, didnt work once, did work once. If on a trail I just chuck a tube in (after checking for thorns). Ive only had normal punctures not seal when in very subzero temps. I’ve ripped 3 tyres apart which just needed tubes in to get home, thats in about 3 years of using UST/TLR.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How do you transfer that spare sealant to the tyre that needs it?

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, always carry a Gerber or mini-pliers to get the valve off.

soobalias
    Free Member

i thought about that and didnt come up with a satisfactory solution, so i split the sealant and put a bit in each tyre just in case.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Here’s one for you… new bike had tubeless rims and proper tubeless tyres but no sealant inside. Does that not defeat the purpose?!?!
    Been running the rims with tyres and sealant now for 15 months or so and not had a punture… or atleast one that has been noticed/ hasn’t sealed itself. Tyres changed very so often with valve removed/ re seated as necessary.

Garry_Lager

Not really mate, you can run UST without sealant nae bother, if that’s what the rims were.

Sealant is definitely better though, it gives a better seal (obviously) which you notice once the tyre gets older – plus the puncture protection from small thorns etc.

I used to try out new UST tyres dry to see if I liked them. Put sealant in later if I was happy with them and wanted them kept on the bike. I know what tyres I like nowadays so just seal em up straight off.

MarkN
    Free Member

Same here. I carry spare sealant in both. 😀

As has been said spare tube(s) and the tubeless tyre repair kit. I use that Panaracer kit. Check tyre for thorns before fitting tube. I have only needed to do this once I can recall when I burped the tyre off the bead. I have been pleasantly surprised as to some of the holes that have been fixed by the sealant.

The sealant in the tyre will need topping up as it will eventually dry out. If you are a “tyre tart” who changes tyres on a very regular bassis than this may not be an issue. I fit and forget. I have also found that a smear of Vaseline has stopped the valve from gumming up.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its for this reason I don’t carry a tubes. Have you ever actually tried to find all the other thorns in amongst a sticky, stringy, congealing mess? Its simply no practical on the trail.

I carry anchovies, emergency tyre boots, 2xCO2 and about 60ml of fluid. I have lost all the fluid through a cut tyre where it couldn’t seal. 4x anchovies plugged the worst and fresh sealant did the rest.

spooky_b329

I normally carry a slime tube, as you can put that into your tubeless tyres and as long as you ride off after inflating, it will seal any thorns you’ve missed.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

repair kit only and never used it. UST just so good never going back to tubes. My Maxxis go on dry and I re do the sealant every 6 months – perfect tyre heaven.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Not really mate, you can run UST without sealant nae bother, if that’s what the rims were

so when you have no sealant in there you are potentially exposed to punctures… defeats the whole purposes of going tubeless in my opinion. The rims are proper tubeless and the tyres likewise however I still managed to get a pin hole size puncture which lead to a considerable drop of pressure over 2 hours, now if there had been sealant this wouldn’t have been an issue.

So whats the point of running them dry?!?!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘tubless – do you carry spare sealent?’ is closed to new replies.