• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cp.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubelss advice – sidewall cuts
  • cp

OK, I’m new to tubeless.

I have seated the tyres on the Crest rims fine, inflated without sealant to fully seat beads, and the only place I can sense air coming out is from a small sidewall scrape, about 1cm long. There’s one on each tyre. If I put sealant in, will the sealant be able to seal sidewall damage like this?

I don’t want to make a mess of everything with sealant if it’s not going to work without a tyre repair…

Cheers

HermanShake
    Free Member

Patch the tyre, the sealant won’t manage that on it’s own. Park tyre boot?

cp

To clarify, they are not ‘cuts’, more grazes. The tyre will inflate (to say 40psi) and it just sounds like a pin prick puncture in an inner tube – it deflates, but not all that quickly.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sounds like just the kind of thing the sealant is meant for; some might come out through the hole, but, under pressure, it should seal it pretty quickly.

cp

kinda what I was thinking. job for after sleep now, will try in the.morning!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

or smear with vulcanizing solution?

cp

Well, isn’t tubeless a revelation! That was very very easy to do – Bontrager 29-1 mounted to Crest rims, initially with tubes to seat both beads, then remove tube from one side. push the removed bead back up a bit on the rim well, then inflate – went up easily.

Leaky sidewalls as above. Remove air, add 60ml of stans fluid, reinflate and wow – hissss…. squirt of jizz & seal. Wow, super impressed 🙂

Test ride later once the chain comes out of the dishwasher 🙂

cp

& lopped an estimated 300g from the wheel weight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubelss advice – sidewall cuts’ is closed to new replies.