Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tubeless/2Bliss woes
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve not had trouble with Tubeless for years and I’ve forgotten the tricks.

After finding my roll of Stans tape I decided to tubless my 29er. A few hours later tyres are flat. Give them a spin, slosh the sealant around and then find they’re flat again this morning. Slosh some soapy water onto them and find they’re bubbling air round the bead and all over the sidewalls so conclude that the 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings probably aren’t tubeless (though I though a good dose of sealant would have sorted it anyway??)

Swap the tyres for Specialized 2Bliss Purgatory. Still had the soapy water out so sloshed that on them as well and *they’re* leaking air through the sidewalls as well. I thought 2Bliss tyres were properly tubeless?

crazybaboon

2Bliss need sealant, they have tubeless beads but the tyre needs sealant
    I also find they tend to go flat overnight until they’ve had a decent ride on them

jamj1974

IME. Non-UST Continentals are really porous and a pain to seal. I spent bloody ages helping a mate seal his – they are a PITA! I had issues with Grid Purgatory tyres too. They were awful at sealing at the bead, although mine didn’t seem that porous. I spent a lot of time doing the sloshing around thing – so maybe that was the answer…?

ricky1
    Free Member

Mine wouldn’t hold air,same problem,pumped them up only to go to them the next day and they have lost air,today I pumped them up and went straight out and they are fine now,fingers crossed.

MartynS

I’ve found 2bliss purgatorys really easy to set up tubeless. As said, they need sealent, the sidewalls seem to be
    Porous

simondbarnes

Spesh 2bliss are tubeless ready and hence need sealant. Super easy to setup in my experience. Best to take them for a ride after setting up rather than just pumping up and leaving them – the sidewalls seal better that way.

RicB

Just done my Butcher and Purgatory control 2bliss tyres in 30mins. Easiest tyres I’ve ever found to setup tubeless, so I’m a bit puzzled why you’re struggling.

Presume you’ve left them horizontal for a few hours on each side?

bigh
    Free Member

I will never get purgatory again ( mind you im talking pus size 3″ here) never stop leaking through sidewalls
    If you like lowish pressures they constantly need re-sealing, costs too much in fluid

RicB

That’s interesting – I wonder if the sidewall is a tiny bit thinner on the plus sized version to save weight?

1timmy1
    Free Member

My Purg and GC went on tubeless fine with a track pump. Had no problems really, made sure I bounced and shook them a lot. Left them on their side on a bucket on each side for 8 hours before putting them on the bike.

Northwind

I never expect a tyre to seal up fully til I’ve done a ride on it- quick pelt round the block can do it but not always. As long as it stays up for a few hours, ie long enough to go for a quick ride, I’m happy because after 1 ride it’ll usually be sorted.

What rims is it? Rims are more important than tyres IMO, it’s a long time since i’ve had a quality tyre that wouldn’t bead up and seal but I really don’t like pissing about with non-tubeless rims…

Never had a 2bliss that didn’t work perfectly tbh. For contis (and for used tyres) a bit of glitter in the sealant can make a big difference, sounds like bullshit really but it does work.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just changed tyres on herself’s bike to Teravail Sparwood. Took about half an hour taking off the old tyres, cleaning up the rooms and mounting and injecting sealant. They’ll need a quick run round tomorrow night to get them sealed properly.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

On their side on a bucket. That’s it – haven’t had to do that for years using Conti rubber queens.

bigh
    Free Member

Thats my opinion RicB, the sidewalls are always wet and sticky (ooer missus) due to stans leaking out

scaredypants

contis, even “Proper” tubeless ones, always sweat bit IME – even after many rides

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

contis, even “Proper” tubeless ones, always sweat bit IME – even after many rides

I’ve never noticed that. However, after 3 Rubber Queens have ‘buckled’ on me when almost new I can’t see I’ll be running any again for a while. Are ‘out of shape’ tyres a warranty issue?

martinhutch

My Ground Control has continued to sweat Stans through the sidewall throughout its life. It’s not a huge amount – I expected to see it dry when I swapped them over the other day, but there was still plenty of liquid left. Seems to hold pressure OK too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Could well be old sealant that’s stuck to the inside of the rims preventing a proper seal.

If your Spesh tyres are Control or heaven forbid, S-Works versions then they’re designed to be run with sealant as the sidewalls aren’t particularly well sealed. The Grid versions are much better in this respect.

As for trying to run Continental tyres tubeless, I’ve tried several times and have given up after much swearage.

honourablegeorge

Continental sidewalls are just shite.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless/2Bliss woes’ is closed to new replies.