Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubeless worms, any good?
  • mactheknife

I have been running tubeless for about a year and have had absolutely no problems with punctures. It does what it says on the tin for thorns and small holes.

Came undone this weekend when i was on a big climb and i slammed the rear into a water bar, resulting in that horrible hissing sound 🙁

The hole was too big to seal properly. So tube went in and i carried on.

So for big mountain rides where pinches and water bars will probably cause me more problems are the repair worms an option. Do they work if used properly.

Hit me with your real world reviews 😀

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

You mean the repair string right? I get the stuff for cars off ebay then chop it up with scissors or a penknife to get a reasonable size.

In the majority of cases it works, but it’s not infallible ~ I’ve used it with maybe a 70% success rate, but you have to carry the needle tool with you if you’re going to use it.

Used superglue to repair some holes as well, though you have to make sure all pressure is released from the tyre… I forgot this once and got an eye full of superglue. 🙁

Probably obvious, but worth making sure you keep the hole at the top, as if all the sealant leaks out, you’re stuffed. 😆

bigh
    Free Member

jivehoney speaks the truth, the car/motorbike ones work well and are better value.

dobo
    Free Member

imo they work well for a large nail type hole but if you have a slash type puncture they just dont work well, they are a bit random though, sometimes its been easy and other times just a pain in the arse

RobHilton
    Free Member

Only had one hole that wouldn’t self-seal so far; too close to the bead I think cos it was only a few mm. 1st go with the “worm” was a dismal failure, 2nd go I followed the instructions 🙂

Having done a few reasonable sized drops and a fair bit of rough riding since I’m amazed it hasn’t popped out.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Can you use some think sliced old inner tube?

mactheknife

Cool, cheers guys. Ill get some ordered as there are some big hills planned soon. Ill report my findings if i have any more clumsy problems 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless worms, any good?’ is closed to new replies.