Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless with non tubeless tyres
  • Pitcarity
    Free Member

Can I run Nobby Nics tubeless with sealant. What's the best non tubeless (therefore not heavy) tyre to run with sealant?

wwaswas

Nobby Nics are fine – I run them tubeless with sealant.

you may find that a tubed tyre with sealnt weighs less than the equivalent tubeless without sealant (and most people run tubeless tyres with sealant anyway).

sadexpunk

just as a bit of a hijack, but on the same topic, ive got mavic 317 rims, and folding blue groove/nevegal set up at present. and want to go tubeless.

ive got some stans sealant left. and enough yellow rim tape for 2 wheels. whats my best option do you reckon? forking out £40 on a couple of rim strips ISNT an option.

so……i could buy 2 presta valves which would probably be too small for the valve holes in my rim.
    or i could buy 2 X 20" BMX tubes and go ghetto.

im thinking ghetto would give me the best result. but do i need presta removable valve cores?
    or can i get away with schraeder (fit my rim better) and then unseat the bead, pour in sealant, re-seat bead, inflate?

and i assume that if i go ghetto, id only need bog standard rim tapes, rather than the tubeless yellow stuff? as theres sort of a tube in there?

mboy
    Free Member

Can I run Nobby Nics tubeless with sealant.

Schwalbe tyres seem to seal ok from what I've seen so yes

you may find that a tubed tyre with sealnt weighs less than the equivalent tubeless without sealant (and most people run tubeless tyres with sealant anyway).

Yes, but… Proper tubeless tyres have tougher casings, so are more resistant to pinch punctures, the main reason we run tubeless in the first place no? (that said if you don't ride anywhere rocky, normal tyres pumped up firm with some sealant in is fine)

or i could buy 2 X 20" BMX tubes and go ghetto.

If you're happy with the idea, then do it… It's not as quick to do (first time) as many people make out it is, but the results are very effective. For the price of 2 BMX inner tubes (bought mine for £2 each from Sainsburys, and they had removable valve cores!) you can't really go wrong. Though be careful that some makes of tyre work better than others, Kenda like you have are not known for their reliability when run tubeless… Maxxis, Bontrager and a couple of others are MUCH better.

im thinking ghetto would give me the best result. but do i need presta removable valve cores?
    or can i get away with schraeder (fit my rim better) and then unseat the bead, pour in sealant, re-seat bead, inflate?

Schraeder are fine, though preferably with removable valve cores as removing then reseating the bead when you've got a piece of BMX tube to reseat it onto, rather than just the rim, is a royal pain in the arse… Trust me on this one!

and i assume that if i go ghetto, id only need bog standard rim tapes, rather than the tubeless yellow stuff? as theres sort of a tube in there?

Yup. Depends on the rim/tyre combo you're planning to run as to what you might want to use. If you're using loose, non tubeless tyres, you might want to run a couple of layers of rim tape. If you're running proper tubeless compatible tyres (like I am with my Bontrager ACX's) then I can suggest using the thinnest stuff you can find. I used electrical tape! All it needs to do is cover the spoke holes after all… Still my tyres were a pain in the arse to get on though, but once on they did seal pretty much instantly.

njee20
    Free Member

IME Schwalbe are the best for sealing.

I've run many of their tyres including the Furious Freds and 1.5" Black Shark Muds tubeless, all have held air and inflated straight away with a track pump.

sadexpunk

hmmm………what to do 🙂

take a chance? sell tyres and buy some that might seal better? ho hum. tight*rse me will probably buy 2 tubes with removable cores, and try with what ive got 🙂

thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless with non tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.