Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless – when to clean out rather than just top up
  • Riofer
    Free Member

I’ve been running tubeless for a while now and keep topping up the liquid every 6 weeks or so when the tyre starts to lose pressure. I was just wondering if I should give a clean out to get rid of the old gunk after a year?

How much does it build up over time?

Any thoughts

Offroading
    Free Member

It’ll be a fair weight of dried sealant in there after a year of top ups?!

When the sealant dries out the tyre should remain airtight – you just wont have any sloshing around for a puncture etc so you should only need to add say 20ml.

Personally once it dries out i remove the tyre and peel it all off and put fresh in.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

you got tyres that last a year?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Radioman

Latex sealant is horrible. After time especially in summer it starts setting inside the tyre. Thats why I use “slime” this is water soluble green sealant that just has polyester microfibres in it. I find it works for me and can easily just be washed out with a hose if u want to change tyres. I never need to top it up either as it doesnt set.

One thing is that I use it with UST tyres. I think if u r running tubeless with thin walled non UST tyre you are bound to have sealant drying out problems.

Riofer
    Free Member

Baby and work etc mean the bike doesn’t get used as much as it should.

I think I’ll give them a clean out then, I sure it’ll be nice peeling it off.

Oggles
    Free Member

sure it’ll be nice peeling it off

Like peeling PVA off your hands as a child 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t know what sealant you have been using so far, but use Stan’s sealant in the future as it balls up less than most, and it generally doesn’t need peeling in quite such the horrid way that most latex based sealants do!

dickie
    Free Member

I use JRC wheel milk & just top up one every six months.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I use hutchinsons protect’air and change tyres about every 6 months and by that time there’s usually only some stuff that looks like a cross between laundered tissue and belly fluff in there, I find doing the whole process in the living room ensures that it all leaves the tyre and ends up all over the floor instead 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – when to clean out rather than just top up’ is closed to new replies.