• This topic has 46 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Tubeless – what do you carry?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Went tubeless a month or two ago, wondering what I really need to be carrying in terms of spares. Have a tubeless tyre repair kit, couple of gas cannisters in a saddle bag, pump and spare tube in my jersey pockets. Those of you who have been riding tubeless for a long time, do you still carry the whole monty? Ideally I’d like to dump the tube and pump but have the feeling I might come unstuck.

Liftman

Tube and Co2

Rubber_Buccaneer

I carry one of those sticky worm repair kits, a tube, a pump and a multitool.

The only time I’ve punctured a tubeless badly enough that it didn’t seal itself was when a flint cut a slice in the tyre. Sticky worms got me home though I had to pump the tyre up every 15 mins or so. The tube would be a last resort as I am too lazy to go through the faff whilst out on a ride.

Rubber_Buccaneer

double post 😳

tonyd

Tube and pump, and a piece of card (inner tube box) in case tyre splits so I can at least get home.

Edit to add: and a multiool of course.

jedi

sticky worms and pump

br
    Free Member

Tube, normal patches/glue (for either tyre or tube), two co2, pump and Leatherman pliers (try getting the tubeless valve out…).

And if just a very local ride, only a pump.

Painey
    Free Member

I take a couple of tubes, tyre boots (in case these don’t stick use the tube box as mentioned) and a pump. I’ve sliced a racing ralph open on my old bike and although you could put 2 fingers through the hole I managed to get home. A good trick is to put some gaffer tape around that part of the inner tube if the hole is quite big as it’ll stop the tube going through.

khani
    Free Member

Worms, sidewall patch, tube, pump, only ever needed the worms and the pump….

Paulio
    Free Member

My Google skills have failed me – what are sticky worms? I want some.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Anchovies and glue.A tube, a pump and levers.

mcboo
    Free Member

Lot of you are carrying for every eventuality as am I. Here’s the thing, if i get a small puncture, the sealant kicks in. If I slash a tyre on flint (have done this already) I repair with the sticky worm kit. How often have you found yourself actually reaching for a tube?

I know its not a huge amount of weight but I like riding without a pack so less bulk the better.

tonyd

Good point b r, I also take a valve remover thingy.

+1 on worms, what’s that then?

Rubber_Buccaneer

what are sticky worms?

Just a type of tubeless repair kit sticky worm kit

scruff
    Free Member

Often take nothing on shorter local rides as tubeless is wondeful, no mobile phone or water either. I like risk.

Thing with tubes is that my tyres will be full of thorns anyway, so a tube is useless.

vorlich
    Free Member

Compressor and a bottle of fairy liquid.

tonyd

How often have you found yourself actually reaching for a tube?

Never so far, other than to hand it over to the odd unprepared and forlorn looking stranger. Gotta love that karma.

Paulio
    Free Member

Just a type of tubeless repair kit

Ah ha, thanks for that. I’ve only had one puncture unsealable by the latex and that was when an entire knob ripped off, spraying white liquid like a Catherine wheel. I usually just carry a tube and CO2.

teamslug
    Free Member

I don’t carry anything. I get my missus to follow me round in van with all my tools/lathe/compressor/welding gear/defib unit… just in case!!!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Riding – Tube, tyre patch, sticky worms, mini pump, c02
    Racing – c02, tyre and sometimes a mini pump as well, depending the type of race.

mcboo
    Free Member

Who’s actually ever used a tube?

christhetall
    Free Member

Carry both sticky worms and this kit

Sticky worms do for small holes, the other for larger ones, but both seem to fall into the “get you home” category.

Had a puncture after 38 miles at Kielder – the sticky worm only lasted just 55 miles before it popped out. The panaracer fix is a bit more fiddly but lasted longer, right up to 95 miles and midge hell !

Anyone know where you can get the refill kits for the sticky worms – I don’t need any more needles !

cookeaa

How often have you found yourself actually reaching for a tube?

It’s happened to me once in four years or so of using tubeless but I was very glad I had the tube as it meant far less faff and the group I was with could get going quickly and finish the rest of the ride…

I’m not keen on being “That fella” who makes the whole group wait half an hour while he tried to patch a terminally holed tubeless tyre and ultimately has to just cave in and use a tube anyway when it doesn’t hold air, better to just stick out one ride with a tube IMO…

So I carry 2 tubes and a pump…

christhetall
    Free Member

Me, but only twice, both times this year in the Lakes
    First time was the B’way below Whinlatter, ripped the tyre on a drainage ditch. Second was coming down Walna Scar, damaged both sidewalls when I took another drainage ditch too fast.

I don’t like drainage ditchs in the lakes…

mcboo
    Free Member

I think for a big day out in the Lakes I’d be carrying the kitchen sink, but for general southern 3/4 hr rides and racing I’m just trying to get my head round what I REALLY need.

cookeaa you’ve had the need once in 4yrs yet you still carry 2 tubes?

Northwind

Tube, pump and worms. Other people get more use out of them than I do but that’s OK. I’ve only ever had to fit a tube 2, or maybe 3 times but on each of those times I was pretty glad I had it! Mostly the pump is just for tweaking pressures.

aracer
    Free Member

Do the sticky worms work with normal (or tubeless ready) tyres, or just UST? Have been a long time tubeless user, but suspect I’ve been missing a trick not having any of those (I might be tempted not to carry a tube if I had a solution like that for the typical failure).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

For the tyre? Same as I would riding regular tubed: pump, tube, repair kit, tyre levers.

While I love tubeless, I have punctured more than once on a ride. Henceforth I try and cover everything with the above. 🙂

(I’ve also had pumps fail, which is why I now commute with two, but that’s a different story)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Me, halfway down an Italian mountain. Flint sliced a gaping hole in my UST High Roller. OK, there was no gunk in there, but I sincerely doubt it would have helped.

grievoustim
    Free Member

under my saddle I have a tube, co2 and a tyre lever – secured using a velcro strap thing

I also have a pocket sized pump, anchovies and leyzyne instant patches/ boot

in 2 years of tubeless I have only had to use the mini pump – to top up a tyre that took a little while to seal.

I wouldn’t like to go out with no tube – I like knowing its there – but I don;t like having it in my pocket (feels heavy) and I don;t usually wear a hydration pack

Garry_Lager

Tube and either a pump (if I’m taking a bag) or CO2 (no bag) for general riding.

Longer isolated ride I’d also take some sort of repair kit (I have quite an old panaracer one that used to be the standard).

The tube seems necessary to me as it caters for punctures on or near the tyre bead – v rare but can happen, I got one on a water bar by Ben Alder cottage as an example of a place where you really would like to get your bike working again.
    These are hard / impossible to repair IME, and have the added problem that you need to unseat the tyre to get a look at them. Even if you can get it mended, re-seating with CO2 or a mini-pump on the trail is not something you’d want to be relying on out in the wilds.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

One or two tubes plus puncture repair patches/tyre boot depending on how long/remote the ride is. I have had a few unsealable punctures in the past including a 2″ tear in a UST tyre and would rather travel heavy than walk.

clubber
    Free Member

Tiny mini pump, spare tube, micro pliers (to undo the valve lockring – have seen tubeless people stuck because they couldn’t get the tubeless valve out.

FWIW, I’ve used it once when I got a puncture and I hadn’t put any new sealant in the tyre for about a year so it had all gone/dried.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

I’ve been unlucky and needed a tube twice in the last 18 months, one sidewall tear, one cut in the main tread.
    I normally carry 1 spare tube and a pump for a 2 hour night ride.

mefty
    Free Member

Good point b r, I also take a valve remover thingy

I generally carry a few spare links and a powerlink, the spare links can double up as a presta valve remover. In additon to a variety of kit for punctures and a multitool, it all fits in a small saddlebag. I don’t carry a pack often and pockets are reserved for phone, wallet and keys.

Klunk
    Free Member

2 tubes, pump and a repair kit.

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve never attempted to repair a tubeless tyre trail side. Too much mess and faff, not forgetting the ferkin mud to contend with over here too. I always carry two tubes and throw one of those in. I also carry a tube repair kit and tubeless tyre repair kit just in case.

If the tubeless tyres blow then usually it’s a pretty big hole or rim tear that can’t be repaired anyway, so again just throw a tube in.

I thought I was being over cautious until last month when I split a tyre and went through two tubes on one ride !

proberts
    Free Member

Just got back from a ride….phone, door keys, £3 and a half packet of airwaves.

northernerindevon

Though I was invincible on my tubeless setup on my first big ride out, sacked off the spare tube and tyre levers and patches. What do you know – big rocky Dartmoor descent and managed to put a 3″ rip in my back tyre. Cue 7 mile walk back to the Landy… Thankfully it was a lovely day but I did get bored of explaining my prediciment to every group of 10 Tors competitors I came across…. & there were many!!

Now carry a tube and a cut up bit of old tyre ‘just in case’. Typically hasn’t happened since!

br
    Free Member

In 5 years of tubeless I’ve never used a tube, but it comes in handy when riding with others as most people only carry one tube – saves repairing their’s on the trail – plus, if I did need it, its there. Same reason I carry normal tube patches/glue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – what do you carry?’ is closed to new replies.