Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubeless – What am i doing wrong?
  • mjsmke

So this is my first time setting up a tubeless tyre. My new bike came with tuneless wheels and tyres but they are summer tyres so need to change them. My new tyres are Schwable Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic both tubeless ready.

So i put the tyre on and put in the sealant. Try pumping up but the air just comes out from under the tyre without seating.

Whats the trick? The shop didn’t use a compressor so I should be able to do it without one.

everyone
    Free Member

Pump harder? Soapy water on the bead/rim bed.

wwaswas

Don’t put sealant in until you have the tyre seated properly.

Look on the stans site for how to videos.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Pump like a git. maybe squeeze the tyre onto the rim with your hand or a zip tie at the valve.

Another trick is to stick a tube in, pump it up to about 40 and leave overnight to get the tyre to seat nicely, then deflate, unhook the tyre only on one side, pull out the tube and have another go.

jwray

Multiple tricks out there to seat the bead if it won’t go on easily. I tend to go the use a tube route. Install tyre with tube to seat the beads, then remove on one side, remove tube and go again. Always works for me.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Soapy water, valve core out and pump like a bastard works for me.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You can use a tube to help stretch fit them into place. Leave it for a couple of rides, then ease it off one side. Use a little water and soap on the bead. Once inflated take out the valve core and squirt stans inside. I use a syringe. Then re inflate to 40psi. It will crack into place. Very loudly. Spin she’ll to get stans around the who,e inside. Then leave over night. Reduce to 20psi in morning.nride and enjoy. The large pressure is to make sure the tyres in place and stops burping. If you have a compressor take the alve core out then before blowing up. Should do it.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If you have a RS reverb syringe it works a treat. Just wash it out afterwards.

mjsmke

Just found the problem, i think. Part of the rim tape had torn from me using a tyre lever.

Will electrical tape work or do i need to order the real stuff?

smatkins1
    Free Member

You can pop a tube in, inflate hard then deflate and hope one side will stay secured while you remove the tube from the other. That’s half your battle won and should make inflating tubeless easier.

Washing up liquid with a dash of water rubbed onto the bead and edge of the rim helps the bead slip into place and slightly obstructs the air escaping as you inflate.

I’d say do inflate with stans fluid in.

You can try to massage the bead of the tyre into the right place before inflating. I always do this, but am always well aware it moves back towards the centre of the rim as I work my way around.

If you have the valve at 6 o’clock you’ll blow lots of fluid out as you inflate. Messy.

I sometimes squeeze the wheel between a wall my leg and push down on the top. Sometimes this closes enough of the gaps to get the bead to slip into place. The help of a friend is even better for this one.

Check the valve is tight and the tapes looks good.

If using a track pump just take a deep breath and give it a good thrashing. I’ve never had a tyre I couldn’t inflate with a track pump.

You could try the homemade coke bottle compressor. Google it.

Good luck!

mjsmke

Got one wheel done! Did the inner tube trick.

Thanks for the tips!

Now will electrical tape be sufficient as i tore the tape on the front rim?

slackalice
    Free Member

Duct tape would be better IMO. Do a full wrap too with an overlap.

creamegg
    Free Member

My mate uses electrical tape, i find duct tape better though as its more durable against tyre lever damage

bullroar
    Free Member

Electrical tape will work. Clean the rim with brake cleaner (or other solvent) first then put two layers of tape on. If tape is narrow over the edge of the first with the second. And try not to stretch it as you lay it in the rim.

mjsmke

My electrical tape looks old so might pick up some normal rim tape from my LBS tomorrow. I’m guessing normal rim tape will work? The rims are Sram Roam 40’s.

continuity
    Free Member

The best you can get is the 1inch roll of gorilla tape on amazon.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You can get tyres on without leavers once you have the technique

SOAP
    Free Member

F*ck soapy water just use GT85 around the rim.
    Remove the valve core and pump.

creamegg
    Free Member

You can get tyres on without leavers once you have the technique

Some yes, but no chance on my current rim and tyre combo

jairaj

Don’t bother with normal rim tape, its not usually airtight so won’t work. Either get proper tubeless tape or use duct tape.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – What am i doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.