Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless Vs Dual Ply for the alps
  • sam2391
    Free Member

I have both options for this years trip do you think standard tyres set up tubelessly or dual ply with tubes is the best option for the terrain?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dual ply with tubes for the win

sam2391
    Free Member

Or should I go all out dual ply tubeless?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No. Just dual ply and tesco tubes.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Dual ply with tubes for the win

Any reason, or is that just what you’ve used and had no problems with?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Never had problems with that setup. I couldnt be bothered with the faff of tubeless in the Alps. Also, dont know how well tubeless copes with low pressures and fast corners. Ive heard of tyres “burping” and losing air. I know the bead on my tires has come unseated before (maxxis tyres, 721 rims)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re just riding xc at a nice moderate pace then tubeless may be fine of course!

creaser
    Free Member

Dual ply with tubes, i tried tubeless epic failiure every run

Northwind

What flavour of alps? They cover more land than the UK, there is more than one sort of trail there…

sam2391
    Free Member

Morzine, I think dual ply is looking like the safest bet atm

Superficial
    Free Member

The only real bumps you’ll come across in PDS is the braking variety. Tubes will be fine, it’s unlikely you’ll pinch but since it’s all chairlifted you might as well get dual ply to be on the safe side.

I’m sure with the right rim / tyre combo you’d be fine with tubeless. But it’s perhaps not best to experiment on your holidays.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Stick with what you know. UST and goop would be a nice combo though 🙂

br
    Free Member

Tubeless dual ply – although I took some triple ply Intense’s when we went – almost didn’t need air 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

I`ve just gone dual ply and tubeless and it was easier to inflate than normal, buyt the tyre was harder to get on 😉

jameso

Depends what you ride / how fast I guess. I’ve had pinch flats on dual ply maxxis but no issues with proper UST. Both at similar pressures, ie low enough for good grip but not as low as I use UST in the UK, trail riding and chairlift stuff but not full-bore DH. Can’t avoid the odd pinch flat unless you have ott tyre pressures imo. But if you ride the big stuff at speed, a rim-hit with UST might mean the rim’s written off as a tubeless set-up – just bung a tube in if so.
    May as well start with tubes then.. )

supersaiyan
    Free Member

If it rains, PDS gets pretty gopping. If you’re swapping tyres over, dual ply has got to be easier (he says having never used tubeless).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Vs Dual Ply for the alps’ is closed to new replies.