Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless Valves, why so expensive?
  • hexhamstu
    Free Member

Has anyone just chopped up an inner-tube?

Got 3 Wheelsets to do so trying to cut costs. How come a pair of valves is more expensive than a pair of tubes?

What about the tubeless rim-tape stuff, I’m assuming I can just use electrical tape?

chvck
    Free Member

I used gorilla tape and knackered inner tubes valves in my rims (Spike Spank Races). I’ve now got proper valves just because I found some really long ones and my rims are quite deep.

scaled
    Free Member

£7 for 2 from superstar, is it really that expensive?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just cut up old tubes. But you usualy see them in shops for arround the superstar prices, they’re even in decathlon.

amedias
    Free Member

Has anyone just chopped up an inner-tube?

yep, that’s all I’ve ever done after I broke one of the Mavic ones that came with my wheels, works fine.

£7 for 2 from superstar, is it really that expensive?

not in absolute money terms no, but why are the valves almost the same price as buying tubes!

vincienup
    Free Member

You won’t need to replace the valves as often as tubes…

I’ve had great luck with the superstar valves. They rock.

If you’re cutting up a tube – I did this for valves for my bottle rocket cos I needed a bit more oomph for bead seating – make sure you use Schwalbes, Contis or something else with removable cores.

You’ll hate the world if you use non removable cores once you discover how much of a PITA they are… 🙂

hexhamstu
    Free Member

£7 from superstar isn’t so bad but the £15ish pounds from CRC is ridiculous.

Cheers lads!

sssimon
    Free Member

not in absolute money terms no, but why are the valves almost the same price as buying tubes!

because that’s the bit that costs most to produce, there ain’t much engineering in the rest of the tube

Northwind

amedias – Member

Because they probably make and sell about 100000 tubes to each tubeless valve.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Valves, why so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.