Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless UST wheelset used with non UST tyres?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Can tubeless wheelsets be used with tubeless ready/standard tyres or UST only?

If they can be used do you have to use rubber rim tape and sealant like tubeless conversions.

Are UST tyres just fitted with sealant?

aguesty1
    Free Member

Tubeless wheelsets – yellow stans tape, can use any tyre although standard tyres are a little more difficult to seal due to the side walls, just leave wheel on its side and let the sealant do its work.
    UST also use sealant, to ensure if you have a puncture it seals up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maxxis Exo sidewall tyres work well for me on Crossmax SX, if that helps.

UST wheels have sealed rim beds so no need for rubber rim strip, but I think some people may use it to get a better seal.

Yes use sealant.

alpin
    Free Member

what pressure are you running chakaping?

i have a set of Maxxis HR2 Evos and Deemax rims. the rear keeps burping, even at high pressures (35psi). currently running tubes as i can’t be done with the uncertainty.

i think the best bet is to go for some UST tyres.

Garry_Lager

You can use some standard tyres, it’s a question of getting specific recommendations as some won’t seal.
    I’ve always used UST tyres, just for the no hassle and reliability. Price you pay for that is heavier and more expensive tyres.

Did just fit a tubeless ready spesh purgatory and it was great first time out. If that proves reliable I might switch.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pressure 25 to 30psi, Crossmax probably a bit narrower than Deemax though – so that may be why they work better if all else is equal?

Have certainly given them a good battering on fast, rocky Lakes descents.

Just picked them up after storing for a month at parents and they’ve lost no pressure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless UST wheelset used with non UST tyres?’ is closed to new replies.