• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless Tyres – what do I carry?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m going tubeless on my new bike and I’m not sure what I need to carry on a ride.

I presume I still carry a tube ‘just in case’, c02 inflator, tyre levers, anything else?

nemesis
    Free Member

I take a tube (two if I’m feeling unlucky), a very small pump and some mini pliers (to undo the valve).

Please to say I’ve almost never used them (once in about 5 years IIRC) but I’m sure I’d need them if I didn’t take them 🙂

GHill

Pretty much the same stuff you’d take if you were running tubes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, you do realise that now you’ve said ‘I’ve almost never used them’ that you’re cursed. 🙂

Is the tubeless repair kit, some tool for stuffing a rubber band into the hole in the tyre, any use?

simondbarnes

If I’m riding locally, nothing. Further afield then spare tube and a pump. Keep meaning to get some tubeless repair worm thingies but keep forgetting.

ssboggy

Is the tubeless repair kit, some tool for stuffing a rubber band into the hole in the tyre, any use?

I’ve got one of those repair kits and it has been useful once, saves taking off the tyre and getting covered in jiz.

welshfarmer

Use the tubeless repair kit back home in the comfort of the workshop. Just carry a tube, some patches (for when you get another puncture on the ride back with the tube) and a pump. Wouldn’t bother with CO2 personally unless on a race perhaps. A pump will keep going, once your gas is gone you’re f**ked.

Yak

Tube, levers, minipump. No pliers as the valve doesn’t need to be more than finger-tight. Something to make a tyre boot is good too, as the sort of puncture you might get that will stop you will be a big one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well I normally carry mini pump, co2, patches, inner tubes, one lever and a piece of ground sheet to patch a sidewall. So I’ll just carry on as normal then.

But for local rides I probably won’t take anything as I guess its pretty unlikely the tyre will lose that much air.

mintimperial

Use the tubeless repair kit back home in the comfort of the workshop.

A tubeless repair kit is easier than fitting a new tube once you know what you’re doing, less messy too. You don’t have to take the tyre off, you just clean up the puncture, stick the anchovy bit in with a load of glue on it, and pump the tyre back up, easy.

I carry tubes and a tyre boot too in case of total destruction, though, but then I am a bit of a boy scout.

rickmeister

Include a valve core remover… Pliers are fiddle and I have mashed a valve with them. Plus, removing the core and cleaning the gunk out of it can help it seal properly.

phiiiiil

I don’t carry pliers, but I’ve sometimes had to use them in the garage when the valve has gunged up with sealant and the core starts unscrewing instead of the pin.

The tubeless repair kits are good, and quick. I find it really rather strange to intentionally ram a screwdriver through the side of your tyre, mind…

hot_fiat

Tube, pump, levers, a set of worms and reamingthingywotsit. IME the MTB-specific worms are pretty poor so I just buy motorbike ones now and cut them in half.

vonplatz
    Free Member

Tube, pump, levers, a set of worms and reamingthingywotsit. IME the MTB-specific worms are pretty poor so I just buy motorbike ones now and cut them in half.

Any recommendations?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

pump and repair kit, dont take a tube no punctures in 5 years that required more than one that required a spin of the tyre and pump back up and I carried on for another 65 miles and repaired when I got home from SDW epic. With good tyres (Maxxis HR 2 here) and good amount of fresh latex changed every six months you are unlikely to puncture. 115km around gap route and black mountains this weekend not a sniff of a puncture despite several people on tubes getting thorn punctures. I run tyres at 20 psi too.

hot_fiat

Whatever your local motorbike shop has in stock. Mine are just from a generic kit from sportsbikeshop.

What I’d really like to find would be an equivalent to the little mushrooms the AA bung in at the roadside.

nemesis
    Free Member

Dangerous thing to assume 🙂 It’s tears rather than normal flats that I carry a tube for.

Yak

Torn sidewalls are my nemesis, so I tailor my spares to suit, hence needing a boot and a tube. I then patch when I get home if the tear/slash isn’t too big.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tyres – what do I carry?’ is closed to new replies.